Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm got offers to go to Glasgow, Roehampton and Brunel and I'm still waiting for York, Sunderland and Salford to answer.

I'm an international student so I don't know about the reputation of any of those universities.

I've applied to the Film Curation Msc at Glasgow, the Audiovisual Translation MA at Roehampton and the Documentary Practice MA at Brunel.

Have you heard about any of those courses ? I don't know which one is better!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Reputation doesn't matter. They sound like different courses so go where the course is the most interesting and where you#ll get the best experience and exposure to stuff you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering
    The trouble is I find all those courses interesting!

I'm leaning toward the Film Curation Msc for now until I receive an answer from Salford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorN)
    Hello!
    I'm got offers to go to Glasgow, Roehampton and Brunel and I'm still waiting for York, Sunderland and Salford to answer.

I'm an international student so I don't know about the reputation of any of those universities.

I've applied to the Film Curation Msc at Glasgow, the Audiovisual Translation MA at Roehampton and the Documentary Practice MA at Brunel.

Have you heard about any of those courses ? I don't know which one is better!
    Glasgow and York are Russell group universities so may be considered to have better reputations than the other 3. However, i've never heard of the other 3 so can't really compare.
    If you like the courses equally factor in other things like location and trips offered etc, or google the times/guardian newspapers league table for your subject which will give you information on employability etc
    Also if you google Glasgow uni you will see it looks gorgeous!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My first piece of advice echoes what is said above - I'd go for the course which is more relevant in interesting to you and your future career plan (if you have any idea on that yet).My second piece of advice - contact some of the lecturers at the university (particularly those with similar interests to yours) and see how responsive they are. It might be a bit more difficult during the summer period to get a response, but if you do it will give you an idea of perhaps the type of feedback and engagement you're going to receive from your lecturers when at uni.My third piece of (biased) advice - Glasgow is a fantastic city! I did my undergrad at Glasgow Uni. There's so much on offer around the campus and it's only a short distance in to the city centre. Good luck with your decision making and postgrad study!

ReputationRep:
    To pick a postgrad course you need to look at course content really carefully and match it to you own interests. There is no 'better' at this level - all three of the Unis you have listed are good. So, look at the course content, the research interests of the staff, and how big the Dept is. Compare all 3 and make a choice based on your comforts and interests - no-one else can do this for you, what may suit one person may not suit you.

PS. At postgrad level, Russell Group (which is just a marketing collective) means nothing useful. It certainly doesnt mean 'better course'.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.