Watch
CorpusLuteum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The spec for this section includes:
Fundamental (base) units.
Use of mass, length, time, amount of substance, temperature, electric current and their associated SI units.
SI units derived.
Knowledge and use of the SI prefixes, values and standard form.
The fundamental unit of light intensity, the candela, is excluded.
Students are not expected to recall definitions of the fundamental quantities.
Content
Dimensional analysis is not required. Students should be able to use the prefixes:
T, G, M, k, c, m, μ, n, p, f,
Students should be able to convert between different units of
the same quantity, eg J and  , J and  .

Can someone just explain SI units in simpleton terms.
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
BUMP!
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CorpusLuteum)
The spec for this section includes:
Fundamental (base) units.
Use of mass, length, time, amount of substance, temperature, electric current and their associated SI units.
SI units derived.
Knowledge and use of the SI prefixes, values and standard form.
The fundamental unit of light intensity, the candela, is excluded.
Students are not expected to recall definitions of the fundamental quantities.
Content
Dimensional analysis is not required. Students should be able to use the prefixes:
T, G, M, k, c, m, μ, n, p, f,
Students should be able to convert between different units of
the same quantity, eg J and  , J and  .

Can someone just explain SI units in simpleton terms.
it's just a measuring system based on kg (mass), m (length) and s (time)

the prefix notation is to spare people writing out numbers with a lot of zeros before or after the decimal point long handed.

e.g. 1000000 m = 1000 km = 1Mm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric...of_SI_prefixes
sketchymofo2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)

the prefix notation is to spare people writing out numbers with a lot of zeros before or after the decimal point long handed.

more so to do with the fact that there were a lot of older measuring systems and that S.I units just make it standard across the board.
before metric measurements.
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
(Original post by sketchymofo2)
more so to do with the fact that there were a lot of older measuring systems and that S.I units just make it standard across the board.
(Original post by Joinedup)

Ah, danke.

Do you guys know what this means:

'Fundamental (base) units.'
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ImageSI units are units used to quantify physical quantities.
They're all based on somewhat random, but standardised measurements. For example, the kg is based on the mass of a block kept somewhere in France.
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
(Original post by oShahpo)
ImageSI units are units used to quantify physical quantities.
They're all based on somewhat random, but standardised measurements. For example, the kg is based on the mass of a block kept somewhere in France.
what
that's kinda confusing
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sketchymofo2)
well there are metric based systems which aren't SI

e.g. CGS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centim...ystem_of_units

but you can completely ignore their existence for all current A levels... SI is thankfully all anyone needs to worry about.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what
that's kinda confusing
Suppose you and your friends start collecting stones, and you wanted to quantify how big a stone is, but you didn't have any knowledge of rulers and similar measurement devices, what would you do? Well, I personally would choose a stone of some size and call it a standard stone, and measure the size of other stones in terms of this "standard" stone. So suppose you bring me some stone, and you want to know how big it is, I can tell you for example that it's just about as big as 3 standard stones.

That's exactly what SI units are about, quantifying things. Every time you say for example, this rock is 5 kilograms, what you're really saying is that this rock is 5 times as massive as the "standard" stone. The standard stone is some cylinder *pictured above* kept in France.

The same applies to meters, but instead of mass you're measuring length, as well as all the other units too.
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
Suppose you and your friends start collecting stones, and you wanted to quantify how big a stone is, but you didn't have any knowledge of rulers and similar measurement devices, what would you do? Well, I personally would choose a stone of some size and call it a standard stone, and measure the size of other stones in terms of this "standard" stone. So suppose you bring me some stone, and you want to know how big it is, I can tell you for example that it's just about as big as 3 standard stones.

That's exactly what SI units are about, quantifying things. Every time you say for example, this rock is 5 kilograms, what you're really saying is that this rock is 5 times as massive as the "standard" stone. The standard stone is some cylinder *pictured above* kept in France.

The same applies to meters, but instead of mass you're measuring length, as well as all the other units too.
Aaaaah, thank you.
BlueBlizzard
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah, danke.

Do you guys know what this means:

'Fundamental (base) units.'
Bitte.

Fundamental Units.
It's LIKE expressing the weight of Apples you just bought. They're 3.25 kgs, which can be expressed as 3250 gms. Same meaning, different units. So fundamental units, are well, units :lol: that other units can be measured by.

Now, ignore the Apple example because it's wrong. Yes it is, I just mentioned it so you understand units better. Sorry if I made things worse

So, take Pressure. Pressure is Force/Area.

SI of Force is? Newtons = N
SI of Area is? Sq. Metres = m2 (That 2 is supposed to be a superscript)

Thus, the SI unit of Pressure is the the SI unit of Force/SI unit of Area = N/m2

But, Newtons is not a fundamental unit.
Force = Mass * Acceleration
Thus, N = kg * m/s2 (Again, that's sq. metre but I can't find the damn superscript.)

Now, N = kgm/s2
And P = N/A
= (kgm/s2) / m2
Which cancels out one metre, and gives you the SI unit of Pressure as kg/ms2
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
(Original post by raniafern)
Bitte.

Fundamental Units.
It's LIKE expressing the weight of Apples you just bought. They're 3.25 kgs, which can be expressed as 3250 gms. Same meaning, different units. So fundamental units, are well, units :lol: that other units can be measured by.

Now, ignore the Apple example because it's wrong. Yes it is, I just mentioned it so you understand units better. Sorry if I made things worse

So, take Pressure. Pressure is Force/Area.

SI of Force is? Newtons = N
SI of Area is? Sq. Metres = m2 (That 2 is supposed to be a superscript)

Thus, the SI unit of Pressure is the the SI unit of Force/SI unit of Area = N/m2
Oh, okay!
I understand now.
BlueBlizzard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That was better than mine
BlueBlizzard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, okay!
I understand now.
Check out the rest
CorpusLuteum
Rep:
?
(Original post by raniafern)
Check out the rest
Thank youuuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise