Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doing my first year Law exams soon. I am not too fussed because I just want to pass them. Does anyone have any tips on trying to get a 2.1 in tort public law and contract law, I wont be disappointed if I don't but it would be nice to end on a high.

ReputationRep:
    I would've loved to hear some advice for you as I am due to start studying Law in a few weeks. I hope you did well in your exams, though (assuming you've already taken them)

ReputationRep:
    Hello, My advice would be -to stay organised and read the case briefs online as they have them there. Make sure you stay up to date with your lecture notes as you will use them to revise from later. Compile notes so you have everything in one place so add your text book notes to your lecture notes. Try and do a nine to five day don't spend hours and hours preparing for tutorials they are not marked so don't worry too much about them. Learn to skim read as the text books will have a lot of information and you wont need all of it. I found making friends with those on your course really helps so if you are stuck on a piece of coursework or prep for a tutorial you can have the help. Make sure you form a goof bond with your personal tutor so they can act as support if you ever get stressed or just need to talk. As for exams, You will have to do problem questions. Remember to do Point: set out the legal principle. Then explain the legal principle, then refer back to the question and say how it links. The problem questions take the longest time to adjust from A levels
    What law school are you going to and what A levels did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomickitten)
    Hello, My advice would be -to stay organised and read the case briefs online as they have them there. Make sure you stay up to date with your lecture notes as you will use them to revise from later. Compile notes so you have everything in one place so add your text book notes to your lecture notes. Try and do a nine to five day don't spend hours and hours preparing for tutorials they are not marked so don't worry too much about them. Learn to skim read as the text books will have a lot of information and you wont need all of it. I found making friends with those on your course really helps so if you are stuck on a piece of coursework or prep for a tutorial you can have the help. Make sure you form a goof bond with your personal tutor so they can act as support if you ever get stressed or just need to talk. As for exams, You will have to do problem questions. Remember to do Point: set out the legal principle. Then explain the legal principle, then refer back to the question and say how it links. The problem questions take the longest time to adjust from A levels
    What law school are you going to and what A levels did you do?
    I'll be attending Leicester Law school and I took English Lit, History and Psychology during A levels Should I have taken law as a subject as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasonmuk11)
    I'll be attending Leicester Law school and I took English Lit, History and Psychology during A levels Should I have taken law as a subject as well?
    those are a good set of A levels, It would help if you took law as well but I didn't take it. Just bare in mind it will be a step up from A levels so don't listen to those who say first year is easier than A levels.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    1. Do all the tutorial prep and consolidation

2. Do any exercises which are on any sort of virtual learning environment (Blackboard etc) when you are supposed to, don't wait until you've started revision.

3. Contribute in class.

4. DON'T wait until a week or so before the exams start to revise, you need quite a while.

I also made sure that as I went along I highlighted all case law authority in green, and statutory references in pink, then tabbed up my permitted materials by topic (one colour for negligence, another for trespass etc).

Revision is an active process. Practice practice practice. They can only examine you on what they've taught you, don't go overboard on extra reading, I don't think I opened my textbook once, even on the LPC!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.