The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Huddersfield or York for Music ?

Hello ,

I like the course at Huddersfield more than at York.
The university feel for me was better at York than Huddersfield.

What should I do ?
Reply 1
Original post by allofthestars
Hello ,

What should I do ?

Ask if you can speak to the Music department of York. Make sure you clarify with them on any parts of the course you don't seem to understand. Ask them if you've missed anything. ask them if they do similar modules to the ones you like at Huddersfield, ask them if there are music students you could speak to about the curent course to get an idea.

You have to be sure before you rule a course out. If Huddersfield's course is better then maybe that's the way you should go, but if you like the feel of York more and you could like the course as much if you had a greater insight into how it works then you might want to explore it in more detail before you write it off.
University of York
York
Original post by JPO92
Ask if you can speak to the Music department of York. Make sure you clarify with them on any parts of the course you don't seem to understand. Ask them if you've missed anything. ask them if they do similar modules to the ones you like at Huddersfield, ask them if there are music students you could speak to about the curent course to get an idea.

You have to be sure before you rule a course out. If Huddersfield's course is better then maybe that's the way you should go, but if you like the feel of York more and you could like the course as much if you had a greater insight into how it works then you might want to explore it in more detail before you write it off.

Hello,

This is all good advice.

You might also want to look through Josh's blog about studying Music at York:

http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/category/study/music/

Hope this helps,

Mark
Original post by allofthestars
Hello ,

What should I do ?

Hi there allofthestars

Looks like you've had some great advice so far on here, you're considering all the right things before making your choice. Did you come to an Open Day here at Huddersfield? If you wanted to check out the university feel and the town again to help you decide then do get in touch. We can arrange campus tours, or our next Open Day is on Saturday 17 September.

We hope this helps :smile:

Sarah
- UoH
Reply 4
As a music student at York, my advice is clearly biased. But I'd definitely go with York. It's reputation as both a university and department far exceeds that of Huddersfield. Regardless of what you're interested in (performance, composing, musicology, etc.), York is clearly the better option and city! Obviously this is only a generalisation, but you'll have more doors open to you and access to a more esteemed alumni network having been to York than Huddersfield.
Original post by dkj50496
Regardless of what you're interested in (performance, composing, musicology, etc.), York is clearly the better option.

Not sure about this. The better option would generally be the course you prefer. If you're passionate about it, you're more likely to do well. I did my undergrad at Huddersfield and it has some excellent courses with a great reputation amongst relevant industries. York had a postgrad I preferred, despite offers from higher ranking universities
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Arkham Funfair
Not sure about this. The better option would generally be the course you prefer. If you're passionate about it, you're more likely to do well. I did my undergrad at Huddersfield and it has some excellent courses with a great reputation amongst relevant industries. York had a postgrad I preferred, despite offers from higher ranking universities

I wasn't talking about preference (that's, of course, completely subjective and dependent on the person) but the department that performs best in terms of objective standards like research quality, etc.
I wasn't talking about preference (that's, of course, completely subjective and dependent on the person) but the department that performs best in terms of objective standards like research quality, etc.

Not sure research quality would factor into studying music too greatly. Only saying that with semi-confidence because I never ventured into the department. But generally their facilities are very good. York does have a getter reputation generally, but that doesn't make it right for everyone (though, you are right. That is completely subjective)
Reply 8
Original post by Arkham Funfair
Not sure research quality would factor into studying music too greatly. Only saying that with semi-confidence because I never ventured into the department. But generally their facilities are very good. York does have a getter reputation generally, but that doesn't make it right for everyone (though, you are right. That is completely subjective)

Research quality factors significantly into every subject, I would have thought, but certainly for music. Regardless of where your musical interests lie (musicology like me, or composing/performance), the research quality of your institution directly affects the standard of teaching you'll receive and, more importantly, the kind of working environment you'll be in being in a department involved in cutting-edge research means you'll be at the forefront of your discipline, often taught by the very people responsible for that, which is clearly a more productive and fulfilling academic environment than would be the case otherwise. It's important regardless of whether you're interested in musicology, where research quality is very important, or something more practical. Of course, facilities come into play too (though I think York does has the slight edge there).

Objectively, I think you could make the case for York being a better option, but ultimately a potential applicant needs to consider where they'd be most happy and that very well may be Huddersfield.
Research quality factors significantly into every subject, I would have thought, but certainly for music. Regardless of where your musical interests lie (musicology like me, or composing/performance), the research quality of your institution directly affects the standard of teaching you'll receive and, more importantly, the kind of working environment you'll be in

Fair to assume York is more research and Huddersfield is more work-based? The research intensive aspect is why I was so determined to join the Russell Group, but the emphasis on translating skills to the workplace is good for Huddersfield. For media, they're seen as excellent and the facilities are brilliant. Didn't do music but all my tutors were either still working in relevant industries or recognised professionals. Really should ask the people I know that studied Music before typing anything out but why do that when I can wildly assume?

We agree on your last point. Not exactly bad-mouthing York, very happy about going there in September

Quick Reply

Latest