Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm thinking of doing the MSc Psychology Conversion at UCLAN or MEd Psychology of Education at Uni of Manchester. Afterwards I may pursue a PGCE or go into educational psychology.

Having trouble choosing between them. Both are close, but Preston is probably easier to get to. UCLAN is one full day 9-5. Manchester is 2 full days 12-8pm. As I have two young kids am veering towards UCLAN.

Can anybody offer any advice to help me?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They sound like different courses so go where you think you'll get the best for your career plans and of course where is more convenient for your situation.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the course at Manchester. In all honesty, 2 days is often barely enough time to get everything done so I would look a little askance at UCLAN if it's only one day a week. In terms of its conversion to ed psych it is incredibly well regarded and has a very high conversion rate. *

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

Giella, askance? Was the course at Manchester tough. I'm also a little nervous about being out of my depth there!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They're all tough. I can just imagine it would be tougher with a decreased amount of input, which you're getting at UCLAN from the sounds of it.*

I ultimately exited the Manchester course due to personal circumstances but the one thing I will say about them is that they're very supportive of students. They seem to get that everyone's converting and they gave us a lot of help on producing postgraduate level essays. They gave us an essay writing workshop and a chance to do a practice essay. They also offered tutorials for every essay, helping us get our outlines into place. I enjoyed it while I was doing it and I learned skills I'm still using today.*

Every course is tough. You're supposed to be working at graduate level and producing graduate level psychology essays. It is still a master's in psychology remember. I would want all the help I could get. I don't see how you can really compare 6 hours of contact time a week (factoring in breaks) to 10 (breaks taken out).*

And don't get me wrong, I didn't attend every lecture. I was doing a hefty commute on that course; a lot of us were. But you get discussions and stuff going on in that extended time which allow you the chance to shape your own learning.*I'm on a course now where you get your lecture time rationed and little time for discussion. I miss that. I can't imagine you'll get a lot of that on a more condensed timetable. *

ReputationRep:
    Him, thanks for your thoughtful response. I'll be having a chat with family members to see what support I will get from them in terms of child care.

Has anybody done the Uclan course?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.