Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Downloading movies - theft in disguise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Same principle. Whilst everyone points the fingers at people who download stuff using p2p and buy lots of CDRs, not a lot of them do it the same with people buying lots of blank VHSs of 10 hour LP to build a video collection!
    can i ask if you have ever taped anything off of the television?

according to the law, not just what people think, is this illegal?

also id just like to mention that the argument new bands and real musicians are losing out has not stood up to scrutiny. if anything obscure talent has benefited from file sharing as they are no longer dependent on the big corporations to sign them up and promote them. it is done simply through the wonder of the internet. this is why so many are embracing releasing albums solely over the net.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry for just writing out of frustration, I realise that the points I made were not bakced up. However, I do think that you're taking this issue far too much to heart, unless of course you happen to work in the film industry. The press realease about the loss of 'billions' refers to many other forms of piracy that downloading. These 'billions' they talk about are not going back to the people, they go into the pockets of overly rich actors.

I download music, films, software, desktop pictures, etc. I see no reason why more people don't adopt the way of some software producers, who do not charge for their software, but use sponsors to fund it, and in return the sponsors have ads on the web pages, and pop-ups. Something else I do is buy music albums, not usually singles, and I buy films, Dvds, even software if I need it. I 'give back' to the music industry, and film. They are stll making money, and always will. I download a music track, maybe a few from the same band or album, and then go out and buy it. The majority of cd's in my collection, and majority of films in my collection are all bought and paid for legally, because they beat copies anyday, but I also like having films saved on my hard drive if I wanted to watch them, and music to listen to while I'm at the computer. I don't go out on the street and try to sell copies. I would consider this to be true piracy, and this is where I feel the film industry is losing it's money. I'm quite interested to know your reasons for feeling so strongly against it, is it just a morality stance, or career, or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip210)
    I download music, films, software, desktop pictures, etc. I see no reason why more people don't adopt the way of some software producers, who do not charge for their software, but use sponsors to fund it, and in return the sponsors have ads on the web pages, and pop-ups.
    But with all due respect, it's their choice, because you don't like their choice doesn't mean you can undermine it through stealing.

Something else I do is buy music albums, not usually singles, and I buy films, Dvds, even software if I need it. I 'give back' to the music industry, and film. They are stll making money, and always will. I download a music track, maybe a few from the same band or album, and then go out and buy it. The majority of cd's in my collection, and majority of films in my collection are all bought and paid for legally, because they beat copies anyday, but I also like having films saved on my hard drive if I wanted to watch them, and music to listen to while I'm at the computer. I don't go out on the street and try to sell copies. I would consider this to be true piracy, and this is where I feel the film industry is losing it's money.
    THey're still making money but they're still having their incomes interfered with and undermined. This still doesn't escape the analogy. You're still saying stealing is okay, as long as you only steal little things, and you buy some big things, and you don't start stealing for other people. Ultimately it's not up to you to decide what is a fair deal, it's up to the industry to decide what they're willing to sell and upto you to decide what you're willing to buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    can i ask if you have ever taped anything off of the television?

according to the law, not just what people think, is this illegal?

also id just like to mention that the argument new bands and real musicians are losing out has not stood up to scrutiny. if anything obscure talent has benefited from file sharing as they are no longer dependent on the big corporations to sign them up and promote them. it is done simply through the wonder of the internet. this is why so many are embracing releasing albums solely over the net.
    I have taped lots off the TV. However, I only tape programmes which is not readily available in the shops on DVD or VHS. If and when they do I tape them over. I used to tape Kavanagh QC off the TV but now they put the whole lot on DVD, even though I have some pre-recorded VHSs of it.

It is illegal if you do not ask permission from the copyright proprietor. There is no such thing as personal use in this country. But we don't fuss over this in reality too much unlike other countries. However, you can tape off the TV if it is inconvenient to watch at the moment in time but once you have seen it you should tape over it etc.

The reason why I think big corporations are making a fuss, especially the music ones like EMI and RIAA, is that they like to keep the market as a monopoly to their own. Many new artists cannot afford to take up record labels and need free medium to get their music heard, p2p is one way to go. I have read the Powerplay magazine and many artists use the powerplay website to put a few songs out so that people can buy their albums and get interested in them etc.

ReputationRep:
    I usually tape TV programmes, and only if I'm out or something and want to watch it later. The point is this is at no financial loss to anyone.
    I only take this to heart so much because everyone seems to do it, and just completely ignore any sense of morality attached. It's one of the greatest hypocrocies in our society.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.