The Student Room Group

Nursing and mental health problems - advice

Hi, uh I don't get this app so I dunno if I'm posting this right :P

I'm hoping to apply for nursing this September (for 2017 entry) but I have mental health problems and I don't know if the universities will take me?

I applied for medicine in 2015 and was offered places but when I went to complete the occupational health form I was told that I had to be clear of mental health problems for the past five years. Are nursing courses going to say the same thing?

I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm not considered a risk to other people, only myself. I spent 4 months in a secure unit in 2015, and had another 72 hour admission this easter.

Any information/advice would be really appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I don't know the answer to your question, but sounds like you have had a bit of a scary time in recent years. I would like to think that out of any profession, nursing would be understanding and supportive of you. I would call a few unis and get some sense of their view on it. I expect they will assess on an individual basis. Glad you are feeling well now and best of luck in your application. Let us know how you get on.
unfortunately if you were deferred on OH grounds for medicine i think the same answer is likely to come up ofr any Health professional pre-reg course.
Reply 3
Original post by dark_wave
Hi, uh I don't get this app so I dunno if I'm posting this right :P

I'm hoping to apply for nursing this September (for 2017 entry) but I have mental health problems and I don't know if the universities will take me?

I applied for medicine in 2015 and was offered places but when I went to complete the occupational health form I was told that I had to be clear of mental health problems for the past five years. Are nursing courses going to say the same thing?

I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm not considered a risk to other people, only myself. I spent 4 months in a secure unit in 2015, and had another 72 hour admission this easter.

Any information/advice would be really appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having mental health issues in and of itself isn't a problem, but from an occupational health perspective them being managed and under control is. With a section as recent as this Easter you'd almost certainly be deferred if you were doing 2016 entry - unless you could prove how your issues had been managed better since and that it was unlikely to reoccur.

I know you say you're not a risk to others, only yourself, but I think in a career like nursing, if you are a risk to yourself you are almost automatically a risk to your patients...

I would personally take some time to get yourself as well as possible, by all means apply for 2017, but I think you will need to be much better by then to pass occupational health from what I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand why you were told you needed to be clear for five years. I have mental health problems and am also applying for 2017 entry. It is a similar concern of mine but people keep reassuring me that it will be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending