Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone a computor whizz on Facebook, how can I manage this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm the private type and all I want to do is post some pictures in my profile for people to see when they look at my photos. However I don't want it announcing on everyone's newsfeed. I just want to upload them without people knowing so that they will be in my profile if people choose to look. How do I do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    Ok so I'm the private type and all I want to do is post some pictures in my profile for people to see when they look at my photos. However I don't want it announcing on everyone's newsfeed. I just want to upload them without people knowing so that they will be in my profile if people choose to look. How do I do this?
    I think if you upload them to a private album first and then change the privacy of that album to "friends" then that might work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by redwhiteandbrit)
    I think if you upload them to a private album first and then change the privacy of that album to "friends" then that might work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This would suffice. In general anything you post will show up in other people's newsfeeds depending on their settings. So the only way to get around that is to make sure it doesn't show up at all at first.

Post the photos privately so that nobody can see, wait a while because Facebook can have a tendency to pull old but recent content and throw it at the top of newsfeeds and then modify the photos privacy settings to allow whoever you want to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This would suffice. In general anything you post will show up in other people's newsfeeds depending on their settings. So the only way to get around that is to make sure it doesn't show up at all at first.

Post the photos privately so that nobody can see, wait a while because Facebook can have a tendency to pull old but recent content and throw it at the top of newsfeeds and then modify the photos privacy settings to allow whoever you want to see it.
    Thanks

Thanks redwhite

How can we be sure that when Ive uploaded, waited a while that the photos won't suddenly go all over people's news feeds as soon as I modify the settings to friends lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by indigofox)
    Thanks

Thanks redwhite

How can we be sure that when Ive uploaded, waited a while that the photos won't suddenly go all over people's news feeds as soon as I modify the settings to friends lol.
    Realistically speaking there's no way to actually be 100% sure. The algorithms Facebook uses to determine what should and shouldn't be presented are likely to be reasonably complex and there's no set way to make sure something never gets pulled by them. In theory if someone had you as a high priority content, top of the newsfeed friend and was looking at your stuff then Facebook could decide to throw your stuff at said person more often/forcefully than other people. There's absolutely nothing you can do to combat that.
    However it's reasonable to assume that Facebook builds newsfeeds based on things that happened recently. If I changed the settings on an old photo I wouldn't expect Facebook to suddenly throw it up as a recent thing, because the photo itself is date linked to an older date. And it makes sense to pull content from dates, not from when their permissions were edited.

So it makes sense that if you posted a photo, waited a few days and then changed the permissions it wouldn't show up. It does however bring up a different problem which may or may not bother you.

When someone comments on a photo, even an old photo the photo in question is bumped up higher into the newsfeed. This is due to the new content (a comment on the photo) having a newer date and therefore making it appropriate to post into people's newsfeeds. How often do you see someone comment on a photo from last year but it pops up in your feed?

So you can spend all this time messing with the privacy settings but as soon as someone comments on it that photo will just show up in everyone's newsfeed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Realistically speaking there's no way to actually be 100% sure. The algorithms Facebook uses to determine what should and shouldn't be presented are likely to be reasonably complex and there's no set way to make sure something never gets pulled by them. In theory if someone had you as a high priority content, top of the newsfeed friend and was looking at your stuff then Facebook could decide to throw your stuff at said person more often/forcefully than other people. There's absolutely nothing you can do to combat that.
    However it's reasonable to assume that Facebook builds newsfeeds based on things that happened recently. If I changed the settings on an old photo I wouldn't expect Facebook to suddenly throw it up as a recent thing, because the photo itself is date linked to an older date. And it makes sense to pull content from dates, not from when their permissions were edited.

So it makes sense that if you posted a photo, waited a few days and then changed the permissions it wouldn't show up. It does however bring up a different problem which may or may not bother you.

When someone comments on a photo, even an old photo the photo in question is bumped up higher into the newsfeed. This is due to the new content (a comment on the photo) having a newer date and therefore making it appropriate to post into people's newsfeeds. How often do you see someone comment on a photo from last year but it pops up in your feed?

So you can spend all this time messing with the privacy settings but as soon as someone comments on it that photo will just show up in everyone's newsfeed anyway.
    Hah ok thanks, guess it's worth a go I'l make a private album under 'only me' and then try to pluck up the courage to change the viewing settings to friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.