Psst you forgot the question
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jas1947)
    Please attempt just question 8
    It's pretty straight forward but before I give you my working out, I'd like to see you try and achieve the answer.

Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Use the fact that the smaller triangle is enlarged by a factor of a on all sides. This means 4a=(x-4)+(4) and xa=x+3.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Okay so we can immediately eliminate 3 answers because they make no sense. For A to be correct X+3 = 5. That makes X=-2. That doesn't make sense for DB because the side would be -6cm. Similar issue using B or D, we get negative values for DB. So we can fairly assume that the answer is C or E. C would mean X = 6 and E would mean X = 1+2√7

We also know that triangle ABC and triangle ADE are the same triangle but in different ratios. That means that DE/DA = BC/BA. Therefore:

X+3/X = X/4

Get rid of the fractions to get

X² = 4X+12

Turn that into X² - 4X -12 = 0

Factorise into (X-6)(X+2), X = 6 or -2. X = -2 doesn't work as we established before (DB is negative again, as is BC and DA). Therefore X = 6 and DE = 9. So your answer is C which falls in line with the potential answers we established before.

I googled UCLES2016 to see what would come up. Looks like papers related to Cambridge. I very much hope this isn't in any way related to entry requirements or getting into university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    It's pretty straight forward but before I give you my working out, I'd like to see you try and achieve the answer.

Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Use the fact that the smaller triangle is enlarged by a factor of a on all sides. This means 4a=x-4 and xa=x+3.
    Sorry, I think I just ruined your good intentions and posted full workings...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Sorry, I think I just ruined your good intentions and posted full workings...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Okay so we can immediately eliminate 3 answers because they make no sense. For A to be correct X+3 = 5. That makes X=-2. That doesn't make sense for DB because the side would be -6cm. Similar issue using B or D, we get negative values for DB. So we can fairly assume that the answer is C or E. C would mean X = 6 and E would mean X = 1+2√7

We also know that triangle ABC and triangle ADE are the same triangle but in different ratios. That means that DE/DA = BC/BA. Therefore:

X+3/X = X/4

X² = 4X+12

Factorise into (X-6)(X+2), X = 6 or -2. X = -2 doesn't work as we established before (DB is negative again, as is BC and DA). Therefore X = 6 and DE = 9. So your answer is C which falls in line with the potential answers we established before.

I googled UCLES2016 to see what would come up. Looks like papers related to Cambridge. I very much hope this isn't in any way related to entry requirements or getting into university.
    I got something slightly different... Are your ratios correct? Or is my method flawed somehow? On one hand I want to say you're correct simply due to the nice answer but on the other I am right because it's cambridge. xD

ReputationRep:
    Triangles are Homothetic find the scale factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I got something slightly different...
    I want to say yours is probably correct, I haven't done this in years. But should your first line not read:

4A=X and not 4A=X-4

For AB to be a scale of AD don't you need to factor in that the entire length of AD = AB+BD? Or X-4+4 (Simplified to just X)?

Surely if ABC is a smaller version of ADE then AB times something (the scalar) will be equal to DE, not BD. Or am I talking nonsense?

EDIT: Obvious nonsense because it's super hard to explain what I'm trying to say. But basically I think you forgot to work out the length of AD and simply compared AB to BD.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I want to say yours is probably correct, I haven't done this in years. But should your first line not read:

4A=X and not 4A=X-4

For AB to be a scale of AD don't you need to factor in that the entire length of AD = AB+BD? Or X-4+4 (Simplified to just X)?

Surely if ABC is a smaller version of ADE then AB times something (the scalar) will be equal to DE, not BD. Or am I talking nonsense?

EDIT: Obvious nonsense because it's super hard to explain what I'm trying to say. But basically I think you forgot to work out the length of AD and simply compared AB to BD.
    Yeah I think you're right. Late at night and my brain doesn't work so well, I took the x-4 as the entire side for some reason >_>

Your method is correct.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Acsel)

4A=X and not 4A=X-4

Please attempt just question 8
    Uploading correct working out for OP. Cheeky Cambridge people must've put that option solely due to my mistake lol. Note to self: dont do triangles at night

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469571246.270045.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  127.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I think you're right. Late at night and my brain doesn't work so well, I took the x-4 as the entire side for some reason >_>

Your method is correct.
    Hahaha yeah it's way too late for this. I was staring at it for ages with no idea where to even start and no idea if I was doing anything correct. Easy mistake to make though, hence why they added an answer to catch people out. At least you had proper terminology. I'm here fumbling around trying to remember the word "ratio".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

X+3/X = X/4

X² = 4X+12

This is from a cambridge admissions assesment, should i be worried? I think with practice I can get a decent score....

ReputationRep:
    Uploading correct working out for OP. Cheeky Cambridge people must've put that option solely due to my mistake lol. Note to self: dont do triangles at night

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469571246.270045.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  127.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! It seems so obvious now i dont know why i couldnt see it before , thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is from a cambridge admissions assesment, should i be worried? I think with practice I can get a decent score....
    If it's an official assessment that determines if you get your place then don't cheat. You could be disqualified if anyone found out and it won't help you on your course. Do not under any circumstances ask for help with any sort of official graded assessments.

If you're just practicing then you'll need to be able to get a decent enough score to get in. Cambridge is competitive from what I've seen. Not saying not being able to answer this question is the difference between getting in or not but at a baseline you should be able to answer all the simple questions with absolutely no trouble. If you're struggling on lots of questions like this then practice loads. Although I don't understand why you'd need the practice. This is the sort of stuff you should realistically know if you're intending to go to Cambridge (assuming you'd have done a Maths A Level and the test is related to getting into Cambridge to do something Maths oriented).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.