Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Statement from the Secretary of State for the Home Department

Statement from the Home Secretary Rt Hon. Krollo MP
on behalf of Her Majesty's Government

Following the recent events in Turkey, the Government has taken the decision to cease all extraditions to Turkey until such time as we are confident that the human rights of prisoners will be respected and protected. Erdogan's recent decision to suspend the European Convention on Human Rights is deeply worrying given the circumstances in which he has made it; in the light of this and other recent events we feel that continuing extradition to Turkey would pose a grave personal risk to the prisoners involved.

We again condemn the purge that Erdogan has instigated, his refusal to rule out capital punishment and his closure of thousands of educational institutions on questionable evidence. Given the uncertainty over its future, we will henceforth cease extraditions to Turkey unequivocally, in addition to the economic sanctions we have recently announced.
- The Rt Hon. Krollo MP - Secretary of State for Home Affairs
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is extreme and will lead to Britain becoming a haven for Turkish criminals, particularly given that we have a medium-sized Turkish community in this country and that it is easy to get from Germany, which has a much larger Turkish community, to here. Rather than a blanket ban, each extradition should be judged on its individual merits with Turkey's circumstances taken into account - I can see the argument for not extraditing someone who is, or who is suspected to be, wanted for political reasons and who therefore could reasonably expect to have their human rights seriously violated, but someone who is wanted for a 'common' crime such as murder or theft would be unlikely to get the severity of treatment that a political prisoner would, and should thus be sent to Turkey for trial posthaste.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. A further step should be to initiate negotiations with Turkey to set up a court abiding by Turkish law, but under third party jurisdiction.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
This is extreme and will lead to Britain becoming a haven for Turkish criminals, particularly given that we have a medium-sized Turkish community in this country and that it is easy to get from Germany, which has a much larger Turkish community, to here. Rather than a blanket ban, each extradition should be judged on its individual merits with Turkey's circumstances taken into account - I can see the argument for not extraditing someone who is, or who is suspected to be, wanted for political reasons and who therefore could reasonably expect to have their human rights seriously violated, but someone who is wanted for a 'common' crime such as murder or theft would be unlikely to get the severity of treatment that a political prisoner would, and should thus be sent to Turkey for trial posthaste.
I disagree, it's hardly out of the question that Erdogan staged the coup himself in order to have an excuse to bring in barbaric laws like this. Therefore, we really can't be sure that the scope will be limited to political prisoners.

I still condemn the reactionary and downright dangerous actions taken by the Foreign Secretary, but this is a much better move by the government (upon advice given by opposition parties of course).
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This does not stop any person of Turkish origin who has committed a crime in say Germany being extradited there. I thank the Secretary of State for responding to my concerns.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the generally positive reception to this. The government is committed to ensuring justice - and that justice includes protection from tyranny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trapping
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Krollo)
Thank you for the generally positive reception to this. The government is committed to ensuring justice - and that justice includes protection from tyranny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope so.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
This does not stop any person of Turkish origin who has committed a crime in say Germany being extradited there. I thank the Secretary of State for responding to my concerns.
Last I checked we aren't able to dictate what other countries do, no matter how much the left want to try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Debate on this statement has concluded.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (144)
45.57%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.43%

Watched Threads