Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1021 – British Waterways Act 1995 (Amendment) Bill 2016, TSR Government
A
B I L L
TO
make provisions to reduce the negative effects of the original Act education and work.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Amendment

1) To section 17 (3) of the British Waterways Act 1993 shall be appended: "(ii)(a) Exceptions may be made in cases wheresoever the attendance of students below the age of eighteen to an educational institution, or travel of adults to a place of work, would be substantially impeded by such navigation as described above, in which case a period of two years shall be granted to satisfy the criteria above."

2 Commencement, Extent and Short Title

(a) This Act comes into effect on 1 January 2017.
(b) This Act may be cited as the British Waterways Act 1993 (Amendment).
(c) This Act applies to the whole of the United Kingdom.

Notes The relevant section, at present, reads:*
Spoiler:
Show

(3) Notwithstanding anything in any enactment but subject to subsection (7) below, the Board may refuse a relevant consent in respect of any vessel unless— (a) the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel complies with the standards applicable to that vessel; (b) an insurance policy is in force in respect of the vessel and a copy of the policy, or evidence that it exists and is in force, has been produced to the Board; and (c) either— (i) the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or (ii) the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.
16% of Britain's houseboats are classified as continuous cruisers; these lack a home mooring and so are expected to be used, as the name suggests, primarily for 'bona fide navigation'. The Canal and Rivers Trust, which is in charge of the oversight of boats under this status, has used a variety of definitions in its guidance since the passing of the Act and over time has frequently changed the severity of its application. Recently, guidance has been changed to add that 'Unacceptable reasons for staying longer than 14 days in a neighbourhood or locality are a need to stay within commuting distance of a place of work or of study (e.g. a school or college).' The result of this is that many hard-working families suffer due to such changing guidance; this amendment seeks to ensure that workers and families have a legally defined period to seek alternative accommodation, as opposed to the inconsistent notice periods accorded at present. *

(1) https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/633.pdf*
(2) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36046323[/spoiler]
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, I fully support this and I'm glad the government has done it.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd rather just ban people with school-age kids from living on a ****ing houseboat like irresponsible morons. This is the next best thing though I suppose.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The wording is not a good as the wording could be, the format needs a lot of improvement, and I believe the bill fixes a minor issue that should not exist because individuals should not live on small houseboats.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The wording is not a good as the wording could be, the format needs a lot of improvement, and I believe the bill fixes a minor issue that should not exist because individuals should not live on small houseboats.
Why?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Why?
Indeed, everyone should live on a houseboat. Life would be much easier and we wouldn't have such a big housing crisis
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I walk past a number of boats and houseboats when going to Lords for cricket, and have been to parties on houseboats on a couple of occasions.

If housing was affordable in all parts of the country then this argument in respect of children would be worth considering. However, as this is not the case and will not change in the immediate future, a child living in a well maintained houseboat or canal boat should not be penalised. Neither should children suffer because of the limited number of mooring spaces available, which is probably why this rule was ever in place.

Aye to the Bill, subject to considering the wording which could be fixed for a second reading.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It simply makes sense, and will allow normality for families in certain circumstances not having to up sticks every 2 weeks and move on, causing disruption, and most importantly effecting any children's education!
Aye
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seems like a logical solution. Didn't know this was an issue.

Aye.
Peroxidation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Since it wouldn't be fair to ban raising families on houseboats this seems like a good solution to the problem.

Aye.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, I guess.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill has gone to a second reading.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads