Turn on thread page Beta

how do you figure out what information to take out of an assignment watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a 2000 word limit, im on point 4 of 7 and im already nearly at 1000 words! theres so much relevant information and i dont know how to figure out what to take out!

any ideas??!

ReputationRep:
    well you sound fairly on track 4/7 at half way gives you a nice space for a conclusion, you also usually get 10% leeway which will get your references in too

but what I always did was write the whole thing, leave it for a few days to a week so I could come back to it fresh then start by going through and editing sentences etc to cut down on words, often you can drop a few repetitive sentences or think of ways to say things in less words or find a reference you don't need when you approach it with a clear head, I'd often save a couple of hundred words that way

if I'm still way over then I'll look for two points I can combine into one, as then I can be more brief with each one and save a couple of sentences in introducing/concluding that paragraph, if that doesn't work then you just need to have a good think about which points you can afford to lose, think about what's the most important to your argument, make sure you've got something acknowledging the opposing view + debunking it, make sure you have something original if you want higher marks

I really do think the key is leaving the essay for a little while before doing this as when you've just written it you're just too close and know it too well to be able to think objectively about what can change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    well you sound fairly on track 4/7 at half way gives you a nice space for a conclusion, you also usually get 10% leeway which will get your references in too

but what I always did was write the whole thing, leave it for a few days to a week so I could come back to it fresh then start by going through and editing sentences etc to cut down on words, often you can drop a few repetitive sentences or think of ways to say things in less words or find a reference you don't need when you approach it with a clear head, I'd often save a couple of hundred words that way

if I'm still way over then I'll look for two points I can combine into one, as then I can be more brief with each one and save a couple of sentences in introducing/concluding that paragraph, if that doesn't work then you just need to have a good think about which points you can afford to lose, think about what's the most important to your argument, make sure you've got something acknowledging the opposing view + debunking it, make sure you have something original if you want higher marks

I really do think the key is leaving the essay for a little while before doing this as when you've just written it you're just too close and know it too well to be able to think objectively about what can change
    ah yea good points !
    thankyou!
    i always have trouble with the conclusion and never really know what to put in it :/

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.