Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents weren't ahem pleased with the results so I may have to do retakes :confused: Do you guys know people who had done retakes and to which unis they went in the end? The career advisor at my college told me that good unis don't like retakers, but I guess 'good unis' is a vague category and that there's no firm rule on this. The thing is, I'm not sure whether it's worth doing them in my case; even if I manage to get 40 what's the point if good unis won't take me? Also, I heard of A-level retakers going into Oxbridge and I'm not sure how this could be possible. Many-many thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try having your exams re-marked? That might raise the points by around 0-3 and thus possibly save you from re-taking exams...

ReputationRep:
    Retakes won't stop you. Keep in mind that it shows commitment and determination as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Why don't you try having your exams re-marked? That might raise the points by around 0-3 and thus possibly save you from re-taking exams...
    Hmmm I don't think that it would help, I know that I didn't do well in my exams. I'm scared of getting even lower points, you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snakecharmer2030)
    Hmmm I don't think that it would help, I know that I didn't do well in my exams. I'm scared of getting even lower points, you know...
    Don't worry, they cannot lower your marks. It's either up, or staying the same.

ReputationRep:
    You could have your exams remarked, I suppose if you were really close to getting the required grades and getting them reamrked may get you those grades.
    My friend had to retake his exams a couple years back and he still got uni without any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snakecharmer2030)
    My parents weren't ahem pleased with the results so I may have to do retakes :confused:
    It really isn't up to your parents, it's up to you. Its ridiculous for you to let other people make such decisions for you at your age. And did you honestly believe that your grades can go down? Of course they can't.

Do you guys know people who had done retakes and to which unis they went in the end?... Also, I heard of A-level retakers going into Oxbridge and I'm not sure how this could be possible. Many-many thanks!!
    Retakes are perfectly normal. I did 4 AS retakes myself. Most people I know did 7 or 8 modules again. Almost everyone retakes most of their subjects, including Oxford candidates. Cambridge are a little more picky, but they don't completely exclude retakes. Finally, don't be so worked up about getting into Oxbridge. Apply and give it a go by all means, but it is not exactly the end of the world if you don't get in. There are other Universities, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    Retakes won't stop you. Keep in mind that it shows commitment and determination as well.
    I think that really determined people do well in May...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    Thanks, I'll think about this option more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    You could have your exams remarked, I suppose if you were really close to getting the required grades and getting them reamrked may get you those grades.
    My friend had to retake his exams a couple years back and he still got uni without any problems.
    Lol I'm really-really far from my offer! Was it A-Levels your friend resat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    It really isn't up to your parents, it's up to you. Its ridiculous for you to let other people make such decisions for you at your age. And did you honestly believe that your grades can go down? Of course they can't.
    Retakes are perfectly normal. I did 4 AS retakes myself. Most people I know did 7 or 8 modules again. Almost everyone retakes most of their subjects, including Oxford candidates. Cambridge are a little more picky, but they don't completely exclude retakes. Finally, don't be so worked up about getting into Oxbridge. Apply and give it a go by all means, but it is not exactly the end of the world if you don't get in. There are other Universities, you know.
    You know, my parents happen to pay, and as an international student I can't afford to do that myself, so I have to take their opinion into account. Anyway, they're not forcing me.
    I had posted this thread in the IB section and it was later moved. I don't really know A-levels system; I was asking people cause IB retakes are very rare. Probably because there are no modules and grades are almost entirely based on final exams. Oh, and I couldn't care less about Oxford, cause I was already rejected by it! I'm due to start uni this year and the problem is I've missed my firm and insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not go through Clearing when it opens in August? If not, you could certainly retake the year and most unis wouldn't have a problem with it except for certain courses, like medicine or law.

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to sound all doom and gloom, but marks can go down. A girl in the year above me got a D in an English paper, re-sat it, and got an E.

Hold that happy thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    I think they can lower your marks if they find it was marked incorrectly..so if you're borderline e.g. you have a B, but only by 3 marks, there's no need to remark, it in case it goes down to a C..but if you were 3 marks off a B, you might as well remark it.

ReputationRep:
    Strange, I have been told my countless sources that they are not allowed to lower your marks. Ah well, I'm not doing it so doesn't matter to me but I'll see if I can find it in the Vade Mecum.
    Keep in mind we are talking about the international baccalaureate here .

EDIT:
    I found it.

In the Vade Mecum it says:
    Article 16: Enquiry upon results
    Candidates’ examination results may be further checked and their work may be remarked if a school requests an enquiry upon results and pays the appropriate fees. This reconsideration may lead to a higher grade for a subject, but not to a lower grade.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if you remark an exam you can lose points. For a retake your best score is taken so those marks can't go down.

Maybe they mean they can't lower your mark by a whole grade but it is still possible to lower the mark as long as you would remain within the grade that they had already given you.

E.g. if your UMS score for AS was 230/300, a B, they could lower it to 210 but not any lower.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I repeated this year and i think it ws the best thing iv done (well ask me that again wen the results cm out). Last year i applied for physio and didnt gt any offers nt even an offer to attend the interview stages so this yr i repeated and applied again. This time i gt invited to interviews and in the end accepted an offer for physio in liverpool. I also had an interview date for newcastle bt i had already decided liverpool ws my first choice and the entry requirements wer goin 2 b the same so i didnt go. I also got an offer for radiography in jordanstown in belfast which i put dwn as my second choice. So in the end repeatin didnt really affect me gttin offers. It just depends on the uni r course ur lookin to do. There is a very limited number of universities that will take people that repeat into medicine for example and they may put the grades up. An i doubt oxford r cambridge would take in people that repeat. What i done ws i phoned round unis and asked if the accepted people that repeated before i applied to them. And highest marks always stay (well they better r im dead lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    For A-levels they can lower your mark in a remark if they found that they were too generous. One of my Biology units went down two marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    For A-levels they can lower your mark in a remark if they found that they were too generous. One of my Biology units went down two marks.
    Fair enough. The original poster was referring to the International Baccalaureate as far as I can tell, so I am just talking about what is applicable to him.

ReputationRep:
    I retook Geography Alevel. I had a C in AS and a U in A2 and overall I got a E in the end of my A level.

I decided to go back a year and resat the whole of A2 and got a C.
    So I came out with C overall for my A Level.

I did get declined by Cardiff and Southampton because the retakes I took wasn't a large improvement.

If you do plan to retake, I suggest you need to ask yourself whether the your retakes will improve by 2/3 grades.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.