The Student Room Group

Is America really the greatest country in the world anymore?

Scroll to see replies

'The greatest country in the world'.

Original post by Orlanda
Im usually a big fan of Michelle Obama. But I wasn't a fan of what she said at the Democrat party convention.

From BBC News:
'Don't let anyone ever tell you that this country isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again," she said, referring to Mr Trump's signature slogan "Make America Great Again"."Because this, right now, is the greatest country on earth," she added'

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with Michelle?

If not the US who is it then?
I think the U.S. is a perfect country for me and most Americans. In determining if we are the greatest country I'm not sure what I should even look at. I hear Brits say our race relations are terrible when I see black and whites dating, marrying, and having families. I read on a post here recently that a lot of blacks in Britain
talk and act like whites. Hell, that would make it easy to get along. That's not even diversity in my opinion. Ten minutes on the streets of Oakland or San Francisco would show you that is not the case here and also what a challenge and it's been to get where we are in race relations. Brits and Europeans see an America from the 1950's or 60's because it's far easier to find fault.
Something else I've noticed from these posts is a negativity that I don't find in Americans.What's worse is how they seem to accept it as just how things are. It shows in the words they use to describe some things. Americans tend to skip over the negative aspects of something and see the positive because the negative will only slow you down if not defeat you entirely.
The original question was whether or not America is STILL the greatest country. I'll take the O.P.s word for it that we were at one time, or thought to be anyway, and say that we must still be because Americans haven't really changed that much.
Original post by umar39
Take a moment and look at the bold phrases i picked out for you buddy! Your comments are irrelevant, untrue and reflect your total lack of knowledge and intellectualism to maintain a debate (looking at your comment I'm not very surprised :biggrin:)

Don't waste your time with these non-intellectuals. Many of them are 30-year old losers who aren't even students, and have five TSR accounts just to spread their bitterness and anger at their lives on this forum.

You don't need to defend India to them. They live in a self-made bubble of ignorance, let them stew there. We both know what's happening in India now, and which trajectory it is on. I don't think these guys actually realise yet that their opinions carry little weight or influence anymore, and will carry even less in the future. Just sit back and laugh at them.
Original post by oldercon1953
I think the U.S. is a perfect country for me and most Americans. In determining if we are the greatest country I'm not sure what I should even look at. I hear Brits say our race relations are terrible when I see black and whites dating, marrying, and having families. I read on a post here recently that a lot of blacks in Britain
talk and act like whites. Hell, that would make it easy to get along. That's not even diversity in my opinion. Ten minutes on the streets of Oakland or San Francisco would show you that is not the case here and also what a challenge and it's been to get where we are in race relations. Brits and Europeans see an America from the 1950's or 60's because it's far easier to find fault.
Something else I've noticed from these posts is a negativity that I don't find in Americans.What's worse is how they seem to accept it as just how things are. It shows in the words they use to describe some things. Americans tend to skip over the negative aspects of something and see the positive because the negative will only slow you down if not defeat you entirely.
The original question was whether or not America is STILL the greatest country. I'll take the O.P.s word for it that we were at one time, or thought to be anyway, and say that we must still be because Americans haven't really changed that much.

I don't think people were debating solely on the issue of race relations.

And all those whining Trump supporters I've been seeing on youtube don't seem all that positive to me.
Original post by bolly_mad
I don't think people were debating solely on the issue of race relations.

And all those whining Trump supporters I've been seeing on youtube don't seem all that positive to me.

I just assumed people knew we were ahead on the other issues. Just kidding
I was going to go on but I have to go to work.
BTW Trump is 4 points AHEAD of Hillary in a Clear Politics poll.
Original post by oldercon1953
I just assumed people knew we were ahead on the other issues. Just kidding
I was going to go on but I have to go to work.
BTW Trump is 4 points AHEAD of Hillary in a Clear Politics poll.

I don't really care about American politics. But I will say that I hope Trump wins.....just for the entertainment value.
Original post by Orlanda
Im usually a big fan of Michelle Obama. But I wasn't a fan of what she said at the Democrat party convention.

From BBC News:
'Don't let anyone ever tell you that this country isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again," she said, referring to Mr Trump's signature slogan "Make America Great Again"."Because this, right now, is the greatest country on earth," she added'

It never was great only GREAT BRITAIN IS GREAT!

:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Orlanda

From BBC News:

When was America ever great? It was created over intolerance, slavery, genocide and rape. Its a cesspit of western society. Its not civilised and its backward. The only people that think America is great..are Americans.
America used to be the greatest nation on Earth. From the 1940s until perhaps the 90s, and especially in the 50s where other countries could only envy what it had. Now it's major cities are increasingly crime ridden ethnic ghettos, feminism is widespread and immigration is out of control. It's a shadow of its former self but still one the best countries.

You can own guns, own large plots of land, and make it big if you know how to play your cards. Maybe I'll move there one day.
Original post by Themini
When was America ever great? It was created over intolerance, slavery, genocide and rape. Its a cesspit of western society. Its not civilised and its backward. The only people that think America is great..are Americans.

Going by your dopey logic, the whole world is a cesspit for being created through slavery. Baghdad, Rome, Istanbul...and many other great cities. I suggest you think before you write dumb things.

America was great because European immigrants broke their backs building the greatest country on Earth. Most millennials won't ever know such work, they prefer their desks and cubicles.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Going by your dopey logic, the whole world is a cesspit for being created through slavery. Baghdad, Rome, Istanbul...and many other great cities. I suggest you think before you write dumb things.

America was great because European immigrants broke their backs building the greatest country on Earth. Most millennials won't ever know such work, they prefer their desks and cubicles.

Erm...I think you're forgetting who else was involved in the building of America.

Lol who broke their backs building the US? It wasn't the European immigrants..it was the African Slaves. How is my logic dopey? The US is supposedly a civilised country and the leading economic power. Why do they not provide free health care? Why have the police shot so many unarmed black men with little to no consequences? Why don't they look after their vets? Why do ex-Iraq vets have to become homeless and beg to live? Its supposedly the land of the immigrants..so why is it so intolerant towards immigrants?
(edited 7 years ago)

Using land and resources that didn't belong to them. Anyway, putting that to one side, what did it do for them? They're over $19 TRILLION in debt and have over 46 MILLION citizens living in poverty in the supposedly richest nation on earth.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Erm...I think you're forgetting who else was involved in the building of America.

Im pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything.
Im pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Erm, you might have, pal.
Original post by Themini
Lol who broke their backs building the US? It wasn't the European immigrants..it was the African Slaves. How is my logic dopey? The US is supposedly a civilised country and the leading economic power. Why do they not provide free health care? Why have the police shot so many unarmed black men with little to no consequences? Why don't they look after their vets? Why do ex-Iraq vets have to become homeless and beg to live? Its supposedly the land of the immigrants..so why is it so intolerant towards immigrants?

I cannot be bothered answering your countless irrelevant dumb questions. Black slaves mainly worked on the fields. White Europeans built the cities.
Using land and resources that didn't belong to them. Anyway, putting that to one side, what did it do for them? They're over $19 TRILLION in debt and have over 46 MILLION citizens living in poverty in the supposedly richest nation on earth.

Yes your point? America isn't the greatest nation on earth anymore.
Erm, you might have, pal.

Nah I haven't.
Yes your point? America isn't the greatest nation on earth anymore.

You said America was great because European immigrants built it. I merely pointed out that they did so on land and with resources that were not theirs. I imagine that helped somewhat.

But as I said, putting that to one side, European Americans make up the majority of the population and government......so what happened? Why are you blaming immigrants and 'ethnics', when they aren't (and never have been) the ones calling the shots in the US?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending