The Student Room Group

Japanese courses in Wales?

I live in south wales and really don't want to travel to England to take a course, so I'm wondering if there are courses for Japanese in any welsh universities? I know Cardiff offers one, but I'm not sure if there are any alternatives?
Swansea Uni does Japanese p/time adult education classes - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/media/Part%20Time%20Courses%20Brochure_2016_WEB.pdf
well Cardiff is your answer then.

I would seriously consider studying at SOAS in London.. with a year in Japan also!

London is where so much is going on.. you will always find something to interest you!

travel to London is really cheap at £6 from Cardiff on the megabus (and that was booking a journey today, not weeks in advance for that fare).

flights from London to Tokyo are £300 and you would have the most amazing year.. get talking with your classmates at SOAS and you could all get an apartment out there together!
Original post by post-grad-u-ate

I would seriously consider studying at SOAS in London.. with a year in Japan also!

London is where so much is going on.. you will always find something to interest you!

travel to London is really cheap at £6 from Cardiff on the megabus (and that was booking a journey today, not weeks in advance for that fare).

flights from London to Tokyo are £300 and you would have the most amazing year.. get talking with your classmates at SOAS and you could all get an apartment out there together!

What a strange response, why are you trying to force SOAS on the OP? ... She specifically asked for courses in Wales not London.

Original post by Twinpeaks
What a strange response, why are you trying to force SOAS on the OP? ... She specifically asked for courses in Wales not London.

CONSIDER is giving thought to something not forcing someone..

'Definition of consider: think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision.'

She wants to learn japanese.. maybe it's time to start exploring the world?

London is a global city and only an hour down the road.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I read this as Japanese course in Whales at first. Controversial.
CONSIDER is giving thought to something not forcing someone..

'Definition of consider: think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision.'

She wants to learn japanese.. maybe it's time to start exploring the world?

London is a global city and only an hour down the road.

Thank you for the definition of "consider" :rofl:

I didn't realise that London was so central in the United Kingdom that from every location, it is only an hour down the road.

She or he asked for course in Wales by preaching about your uni, you are not answering the question.

It also takes nearly 4 hours to get there...

London is also considerably more expensive and I'm glad you have £300 to drop on a flight but not everyone does.

To the OP I would say Japanese courses are hard to find (I originally wanted to do Oriental Studies and my options were very limited!) and it seems like Cardiff is the only one in Wales.

Cardiff seems to not offer Japanese as a single honours degree which may be something to consider. Their Chinese degree seems more immersive (if that would interest you). The info is here if you haven't seen it yet.
If OP really wanted to push it.. Nottingham's China campus in Ningbo, which you can fly to for £300 again.. you can study International Business with Japanese and International Communications with Japanese, with two modules taught each year.. so not only would you learn Japanese in China but I can imagine you would learn a lot of chinese too! I guess the university could help you get a placement year over in Tokyo in business or public relations.

I guess this idea is going to get slammed AGAIN, so go to Cardiff like I said at first.

If you get the opportunity to study and/or work in Japan definitely go for it.

If you can work for a year in Japan as a teacher of english as a foreign language, that might be enough to decide if you want to study japanese.

At SOAS you can combine japanese with history of art for a career in antiques etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending