Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do GCSEs predictions define your GCSEs grade? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted a grade D for science but I always get grade Cs for topic test papers during yr10 because it's foundation that's the highest grade possible unfortunately. My biology teacher noticed that I am doing well so at the during the mock exams in yr10 she put me in for higher tier. I received a grade C ( THE THING IS I DIDNT KNOW I WAS DOING HIGHER TIER UNTIL 5 MINUTES BEFORE THAT EXAM) so I didn't really revise much on that exam because I thought I was doing foundation and I knew that I was going achieve the highest -a grade C. ANYWAYS for higher tier I got a grade C, i know I could've done better but I didn't know I was doing higher tier. I received a C in Foundation chem and a D ( FEW MARKS OF A C!! It's because I didn't really revise for it) and I did **** in my ISA grade D again few marks away from a C overall at the end of year 10 I got a C for science. Which is over my predicted grade (D)
    PLEASE READ ON THE NEXT PART IS IMPORTANT!!

So basically this job adviser career lady asked what I wanted to be when I'm older I said I wasn't quite sure but something to do with biology. So then she asked me what sixth form I was going to and what subjects am I interested for a levels. So then we searched the sixth form and it said in order to take the subject biology I need to receive a B in science gcse. So the career lady looked at my predicted grade (D) and she said that i won't be able to do that and said that I need to look for a different subject something simpler like health or child development even Art. I felt like when she said that I felt underestimated like she had no hope in me. Is it possible for me to receive a grade B by May 2017? Or is she right statistically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They didn't at my school. Our GCSE predictions were based on CAT tests we had in Year 9 (which were used in Wales instead of SATs). I did alright in those so my GCSE predictions were all around B/C with a few A's and in the end I had all A*/A so they really didn't match up!

I pretty much always ignore predicted grades. As long as you put in the work I don't see any reason you can't get a B, especially as you didn't even know what paper you were sitting until five minutes before! Work hard and prove her wrong, don't let a predicted grade make you give up on what you want to study

ReputationRep:
    Lol,I am predicted a D in Core science but at 25th August in core science I think I am going to get at least an A. Don't believe in your predicted grade they are ****.

ReputationRep:
    Only use predicted grades as a guide. Mine were wrong for most of my subjects. For example, in Geography, I was predicted a high C/low B. In the real thing I got an A*...

ReputationRep:
    They are merely computer generated grades which are supposed to be an accurate representation of what level you are working at/ should be aiming for. Their purpose is mainly to put you in sets and judge your overall GCSE level. DO NOT let them hold you back. I know people who were predicted Cs and they got As and A*s. If you want to biology what you need to do is work really hard and prove that you can do it. You can do anything with the correct attitude and work ethic. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Was predicted a B in art, got A*. It doesn't. .

ReputationRep:
    was predicted all A* and got all A*

ReputationRep:
    Although predicted grades do hold some merit they definitely do not define the grades you will achieve. If you are achieving above your predicted grades it shows that you are performing above the system's expectation of you rather than your own expectations. Honestly, predicted grades are pretty useless if you think about them! It is information based off your performance from tests you ma have sat years ago, when you were younger and may not have had the motivation to achieve.

I

ReputationRep:
    Get that out of your head now. Ignore GCSE predictions.

ReputationRep:
    no
    what u do in the exam hall defines ur grade

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got my results back but I know that I was over predicted in lots of my subjects because they were based off things like SATs and CATs as well, which I did alright in.

ReputationRep:
    They are completely irrelevant. Work hard and you can achieve any grade you want, predictions are just what they think you'll get based on your current performance. So change your performance and your grades will change.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicated an A* in French
    That didn't effing happen.. Robbed off 3A*s at the age of 16
    RE, English language and French. Fuuuuuuming

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades at GCSE don't meaning anything and are mainly based on what you got in Year 6. Ignore them

ReputationRep:
    Saw in your other thread that you have more mocks next year. Why worry about the predictions now? Impress them with your next set, and they are bound to fly up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tracey_km)
    I'm predicted a grade D for science but I always get grade Cs for topic test papers during yr10 because it's foundation that's the highest grade possible unfortunately. My biology teacher noticed that I am doing well so at the during the mock exams in yr10 she put me in for higher tier. I received a grade C ( THE THING IS I DIDNT KNOW I WAS DOING HIGHER TIER UNTIL 5 MINUTES BEFORE THAT EXAM) so I didn't really revise much on that exam because I thought I was doing foundation and I knew that I was going achieve the highest -a grade C. ANYWAYS for higher tier I got a grade C, i know I could've done better but I didn't know I was doing higher tier. I received a C in Foundation chem and a D ( FEW MARKS OF A C!! It's because I didn't really revise for it) and I did **** in my ISA grade D again few marks away from a C overall at the end of year 10 I got a C for science. Which is over my predicted grade (D)
    PLEASE READ ON THE NEXT PART IS IMPORTANT!!

So basically this job adviser career lady asked what I wanted to be when I'm older I said I wasn't quite sure but something to do with biology. So then she asked me what sixth form I was going to and what subjects am I interested for a levels. So then we searched the sixth form and it said in order to take the subject biology I need to receive a B in science gcse. So the career lady looked at my predicted grade (D) and she said that i won't be able to do that and said that I need to look for a different subject something simpler like health or child development even Art. I felt like when she said that I felt underestimated like she had no hope in me. Is it possible for me to receive a grade B by May 2017? Or is she right statistically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    GCSE predictions don't really define what you get in the real thing. For example I was predicted B's and C's and came out with A's and B's. Also the careers advisor in my school didn't really give me any useful advice and when I applied to a grammar school for sixth form she kind of advised me against it. But guess what, I did get in to the grammar school but the subjects that I wanted to do were already full so I chose to stay in my schools sixth form. I'm doing chem, bio and psychology. It is very possible that you can get a B by next yr, you've just got to put the work in. I remember back in yr 9 thinking getting a C is really difficult but in Yr 11 when I got an A, I thought it is so easy to get an A. It always seems difficult until it is done (a quote by Nelson Mandela which is stuck in my head). I love proving people wrong by working hard and getting the grades. I guess you could try this method and every time it works it is really rewarding. So don't underestimate yourself and never doubt your abilities. Finally believe in your self that you can do it and you will see the outcome will be what you wanted on Results day 2017.

ReputationRep:
    They don't define your final gcse grade at all! In my case at school, teachers warned students that they will deliberately predict slightly lower grades than what people are capable of getting so that students are not complacent and keep working hard - even if a really bright student is always getting high grades in their tests.
    It might be useful to find out if you can retake your ISA and get a higher grade because loads of people did at my school and they ended up with As and A*s the second time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alchima)
    They don't define your final gcse grade at all! In my case at school, teachers warned students that they will deliberately predict slightly lower grades than what people are capable of getting so that students are not complacent and keep working hard - even if a really bright student is always getting high grades in their tests.
    It might be useful to find out if you can retake your ISA and get a higher grade because loads of people did at my school and they ended up with As and A*s the second time.
    'deliberately predict slightly lower grades... even if a really bright student is always getting high grades in their tests.'

This actually happened in my school last year. There was this boy in my class who got 8 A*s and 3 A's and he was predicted to get all C's!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    'deliberately predict slightly lower grades... even if a really bright student is always getting high grades in their tests.'

This actually happened in my school last year. There was this boy in my class who got 8 A*s and 3 A's and he was predicted to get all C's!!
    Exactly! Unis only look at a level predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    tracey_km
    Predicted grades are bull****. Are you the same person you were in y6? People change and it's easy to get a high grade once you have got all the materials. Find out your exam board, get the revision guides from Amazon and just do it. Although getting the most USEFUL source is what you need to consider at this stage. I recommend something that has specification content (the learning objectives) in them, I'll explain why later. I am doing AQA science and usually the thicker, more expensive revision guides contain the learning objectives before the topic. This is important because you need to know EXACTLY what you need to learn and it is very easy to revise from them. My algorithm for science revision is:

1) Notes-A focused summary of the topic.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I use the main-headings from the textbook. This is usually bold and it divides then topic into parts. I highlight this yellow because this breaks the topic into bits in my revision notes. I then break down the paragraphs on a separate piece of paper and try and get rid of any irrelevant content i.e. repeats of the same thing, introductions etc.(Use the learning objectives to help you here.)
    On the separate piece of paper I break the information into either simple or compound sentences (if it is a point which explains why something happens) and finally bullet point facts underneath the main headings.

Side note: NEVER GET RID OF KEY WORDS WHEN SUMMARISING.
    2)Keywords-A list of important words that are relevant to the topic. These are useful in QWC questions. This is good because some unfamiliar words could be the boundary between your understanding of the topic.

3)Learning Objectives
    The most important bit; rearrange the learning objectives into questions so then when you revise you've covered the main stuff.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.