Confused on what I am entitled too with student finance. Watch

LazyWoodz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Been reading up about living on the money I will get from the maintenance loan. I have read a lot of people saying they get grants on top of their maintenance loan, rising their yearly total to like 7k? How do I look into this? im very confused as I have had no help looking into any of this so my question might sound utterly stupid.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are no grants now for English students. It's all loans.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is the official calculator, which will give you an estimate of your entitlement based on your circumstances:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

As Tiger Rag says, English students no longer get grants but the Maintenance Loan has increased.
mliela
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LazyWoodz)
Been reading up about living on the money I will get from the maintenance loan. I have read a lot of people saying they get grants on top of their maintenance loan, rising their yearly total to like 7k? How do I look into this? im very confused as I have had no help looking into any of this so my question might sound utterly stupid.
As stated by others there is no longer a grant. Just a loan. The maximum loan is £8200 and about £10800 inside of London.
Just google student finance and you should be able to get more information.

Here are some links to help.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...-student-loans
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...n-fees-changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LazyWoodz)
Your university may offer grants though so look into that
femalemarxist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You will get a means tested maintenance loan (based on household income) and then your student loan (which goes straight to the university). Some courses like teaching and medicine (i think) can get a bit extra maintenance loan because of the high costs associated with the course, but this too will be decided by student finance if you are eligible. In terms of grants and bursaries, your should check with your university, as they often have pages on their websites to explain their bursaries,etc. and what is needed for you to be eligible.
Hope that helps!
JemmaSimmons
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No matter your household income, you can get a maintenance loan of about £4000. You can also apply for extra maintenance loan. How much extra maintenance loan you qualify for is based on your household income and where you are studying (if you are living away from home and in London while you study, you qualify for more). So if someone's maintenance loan is £7k, then they were eligible for £3k extra based on their household income.

Quite a few unis also offer income based bursaries. If you shared this information with the uni via student finance, you might automatically qualify for a bursary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?