Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, i am planning to take a gap year after i finish my A levels next year, I am planning to study maths at university however, i understand that it is not encouraged by universities if you are wanting to study maths.

I was just wondering what your opinions are.

ReputationRep:
    I am taking a gap year (starting sept 2008) before studying Maths at uni.
    At all the open days (well 3.. Manchester, Bristol and Sheffield) I have asked specifically about defered entry (gap year) before studying maths and they were all encouraging.
    In Manchester he actually said to the whole room of people "If you get the opportunity to take a gap year, then take it" and in Bristol they said "as long as you don't stare at a blank wall all year we don't mind". Both of these were admissions tutors - so the people who decide if they want you - and the unis I mentioned are all ranked fairly high for maths.
    One point they did mention was that it was good to spend about a month "catching up" by revising a level stuff - but that is common sense.
    So join me taking a gap year before studying Maths at uni.. and have fun doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand the benefit of a gap year but the OP must also take note of specific universities.

I know for Imperial, they are notorious for rising the offer for gap year students, to the extent of AAAA and DIST for AEA Maths, which is absolutely hell considering the standard offer is AAA in maths/FM/Phy. Also, they are quit negative about the students having less maths practice and familiarity as the result of the gap year. Hence, they sometimes make the AEA as [art of the offer so as to "keep you busy" and revise for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you're doing on your GAP year. If for example you're working, then it might be a good idea to take on (further) Further Maths A-levels at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    I do know that Imperial Maths has this habit of asking for sky-high offers from those people taking gap-year. I think it is a bit unfair.

The most serious one I have heard so far is AAAA and Dist in Maths AEA.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess it really depends on what universities the OP is thinking of applying to...

ReputationRep:
    yup, so he just need to take note and get more info from TSR and the relevant universities

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.