Help where do I stand?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi all just looking to try and work out where I stand and wondered if anyone could help me?

I really want to get into nursing, with a young family I applied to the Open Uni and did some modules working towards a health and social care degree thinking whilst my children were young it would give me the qualifications I needed to get into nursing with the flexibility of working from home (with the plan to apply for nursing once all my children are in full time school which is next year)

However I failed my last few modules and will not complete in time (I was on transitional fees) from the modules I did complete I have 180 credits, I had a panic then shook myself off and starting making a plan of action of where to go next and then I saw a few posts regarding funding for courses and it got me panicking again will I even be able to receive funding for the nursing course now then it is no longer NHS funded? Or have I messed up my whole plan??

Hope this makes sense and thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDouglas)
    Hi all just looking to try and work out where I stand and wondered if anyone could help me?

I really want to get into nursing, with a young family I applied to the Open Uni and did some modules working towards a health and social care degree thinking whilst my children were young it would give me the qualifications I needed to get into nursing with the flexibility of working from home (with the plan to apply for nursing once all my children are in full time school which is next year)

However I failed my last few modules and will not complete in time (I was on transitional fees) from the modules I did complete I have 180 credits, I had a panic then shook myself off and starting making a plan of action of where to go next and then I saw a few posts regarding funding for courses and it got me panicking again will I even be able to receive funding for the nursing course now then it is no longer NHS funded? Or have I messed up my whole plan??

Hope this makes sense and thank you
    Nursing is exempt from the ELQ rules, so your prior studies with the OU won't matter. You will still be able to get a loan to pay for your nursing degree. Presumably you can use your OU credits to gain entry into the degree. When will you be applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Nursing is exempt from the ELQ rules, so your prior studies with the OU won't matter. You will still be able to get a loan to pay for your nursing degree. Presumably you can use your OU credits to gain entry into the degree. When will you be applying?
    Hi thats brilliant thank you so much you've put my mind at ease

I initially planned to do access course next year and then apply, but when looking on my uni's website they appear to have lower their entry requirements for next year so I'm considering applying for next year on the back of my ou credits

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am applying for sept 17 with my OU credits i have 90 and most unis have responded possitively so you should have no problem. I also went into a melt down when it was announced the NHS were no longer funding but then heard about the exemption its such a relief! Im 31 now and thought my life was ruined but cant wait to hopefully start uni next year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnboi1985)
    Hi

I am applying for sept 17 with my OU credits i have 90 and most unis have responded possitively so you should have no problem. I also went into a melt down when it was announced the NHS were no longer funding but then heard about the exemption its such a relief! Im 31 now and thought my life was ruined but cant wait to hopefully start uni next year!!
    Hi thats fab to hear thank you so much , if I can just ask another question? I can find anywhere to add OU modules so did you just mention them in your personal statement?

Good luck with your application what are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I used my qualifications/modules at the OU as proof of recent study to gain access to full time courses. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    (Original post by MDouglas)
    Hi thats brilliant thank you so much you've put my mind at ease

I initially planned to do access course next year and then apply, but when looking on my uni's website they appear to have lower their entry requirements for next year so I'm considering applying for next year on the back of my ou credits
    I'll just add, it's only currently exempt for 16/17. There's no way of knowing if it will be exempt for 17/18 NEW students until the regulations come out, which is usually February/March time.

Cheers

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.