Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can a wizard use anyone's wand or can they only use their specific one?

And do you think new spells/charms can be created?

ReputationRep:
    A few characters have used other people's wands. Crouch Junior uses Harry's wand to conjure the Dark Mark at the Triwizard Cup. Neville briefly uses Hermione's wand in the DoM whilst she is unconscious (although admittedly he has a broken nose so I don't think any of his spells even work) and there are probably other examples, although that's from the top of my head.

As for new spells, I believe Snape created a couple of new spells when he was at school, which were written in his potions book. For example, the one that holds people upside down by their ankles, and I think the slashing spell. Fred and George have come up with a couple of new inventions, although I'm not sure whether they would count as spells as such. But the 'portable swamp' and so on doesn't seem to have been used before. So I think it is possible, but quite difficult.

Hasn't Hermione done that kind of thing herself? Like with the DA, when she did what she did to make sure nobody divulged of its existence... I always reckoned it was either a spell of her own invention or an application of the Fidelius Charm?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it would be more consistent with Hermione's character for her to have found an obscure spell in a book rather than invented a new one herself. But of course we don't really know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpinkuk)
    A few characters have used other people's wands. Crouch Junior uses Harry's wand to conjure the Dark Mark at the Triwizard Cup. Neville briefly uses Hermione's wand in the DoM whilst she is unconscious (although admittedly he has a broken nose so I don't think any of his spells even work) and there are probably other examples, although that's from the top of my head.

As for new spells, I believe Snape created a couple of new spells when he was at school, which were written in his potions book. For example, the one that holds people upside down by their ankles, and I think the slashing spell. Fred and George have come up with a couple of new inventions, although I'm not sure whether they would count as spells as such. But the 'portable swamp' and so on doesn't seem to have been used before. So I think it is possible, but quite difficult.
    Snape didnt create those spells, such as the Levicorpus, they arent approved by the Ministry of Magic and go through periods of time when everyone (at least most pupils at Hogwarts) uses them but then they go out of fashion.
    Ive been re-reading Half Blood Prince so another example of a wizard using someone else's wand is Voldemort using Morfin Gaunt's wand to murder his father grandparents.

ReputationRep:
    I mention that example only because I seem to remember Snape getting a bit arsey that they had used "his own spell" against him. I got the impression he had created it and it had swept through the school and eventually been used by James and Sirius to bully him.

But saying that I haven't re-read HBP for a while (I can't find my copy!!!) so I can't remember all that well.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Dumbledore create spells when he sat his exams (can't remember if it was OWLs or NEWTs). But the invigilator says to harry I think 'I saw Dumbledore do things with a wand I didn't even know possible in his charms (?) exam' Something like that..

Whether it be new spells Dumbledore created or just obscure ones he had discovered I don't know.

But, I think it is possible to create your own spells. All spells had to be created at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Snape definitely invented Sectumsempra and Levicorpus because he says "You dare use my own spells against me... ...it was I who invented them..." when Harry try's to use them against him at the end of HBP.

I think it's mentioned in one of the books that using your own wand will give in better results then using someone elses. There are alot of examples where other wands are used, even Ron's initial wand was passed down by an older brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slinc)
    Snape definitely invented Sectumsempra and Levicorpus because he says "You dare use my own spells against me... ...it was I who invented them..." when Harry try's to use them against him at the end of HBP.
    Thanks I thought I had read that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slinc)

I think it's mentioned in one of the books that using your own wand will give in better results then using someone elses. There are alot of examples where other wands are used, even Ron's initial wand was passed down by an older brother.
    how about the spell that makes someones tongue stick to the top off their mouth? as that was in the Half-blood Prince's potion book as well

ReputationRep:
    And, well 'The Dark Mark' is a spell Voldemort has made up himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyatthegym)
    And, well 'The Dark Mark' is a spell Voldemort has made up himself.
    Good point. Either that or he saw it and thought "Hey that looks cool, I'll have that" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitty_koo)
    how about the spell that makes someones tongue stick to the top off their mouth? as that was in the Half-blood Prince's potion book as well
    It's not said if all the spells in the book where created by Snape or not. He only mentions that he was the inventor when Harry tries using the two, Levicorpus and Sectumsempra, against him.

ReputationRep:
    What about when they are mixing potions etc. in their cauldrons and they get it wrong by saying the wrong thing..like..they want it to go pink and slimy and instead they make it go blue and sticky. Technichally they've made a new charm/spell/incantation whatever, to make it go blue and sticky! It may not be the desired result, but they created a new spell! :rolleyes:

P.S. How come the spell for making someone "eat slugs" is "eat slugs"!! Why is every other spell latin inspired?!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester_2005)
    P.S. How come the spell for making someone "eat slugs" is "eat slugs"!! Why is every other spell latin inspired?!:p:

Maybe Ron invented it! :eek:

I don't think it was a spell in the book. Ron just shouted it out, where you or I might shout "**** off." They thought it'd look cool if they made it into a spell in the film, I reckon.

The Dark Mark spell loosely translates from Latin as 'death eating' or something like that, so it's certainly a Voldemort spell.

ReputationRep:
    As everyones mentioned there are numerous examples of people using others wands, I am sure in one of the first books it mentions that the spells are not as effective from anothers wand though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    Maybe Ron invented it! :eek:
    Or better yet, he used the Non Verbal version of the spell :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.