Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The UK economy grew 0.6% in the three months to the end of June, a period that ended one week after the vote to leave the European Union.

Growth in gross domestic product was stronger than expected in the quarter, and was up from 0.4% growth in the previous three months, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Any uncertainty ahead of the referendum seemed to have a "limited" effect, the ONS said.

On an annual basis, growth was 2.2%.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903164

UK unemployment has also fell to a fresh 11 year low.

The UK unemployment rate has fallen to 4.9%, the lowest since July 2005, according to official figures.

The unemployment total fell to 1.65 million in the March-to-May period, down 54,000 from the previous quarter, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36844302
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I keep seeing really conflicting reports.

Was the economy was growing fast, then slowed dramatically after Brexit (but still ended with overall growth)? Or did the Brexit have little impact and the economy carried on its usual trajectory? Or something else?

ReputationRep:
    apparently China not growing as fast as it used to is a bad thing. what does that say about news of our economy?

ReputationRep:
    Thats BEFORE we leave EU, I'm a brexiter but I think next will be -0.3% to -0.5% then 0.9% after when remaining scaring tatics died off and realised it was all lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Thats BEFORE we leave EU, I'm a brexiter but I think next will be -0.3% to -0.5% then 0.9% after when remaining scaring tatics died off and realised it was all lies.
    No one has made this thread about Brexit. However, it is interesting that consumer and business confidence seemed not to be impacted by the threat of voting to leave, especially given the trend in the polls at the time as well.

Even one quarter of negative economic growth would not constitute a recession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    No one has made this thread about Brexit. However, it is interesting that consumer and business confidence seemed not to be impacted by the threat of voting to leave, especially given the trend in the polls at the time as well.

We can blame the conservative government if we get a minus for scaring the public, never heard Labour scaring, growth should rise due to lower currency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)

Was the economy was growing fast, then slowed dramatically after Brexit (but still ended with overall growth)? Or did the Brexit have little impact and the economy carried on its usual trajectory? Or something else?
    It's just carried on its usual trajectory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Professor Oak)

The flash PMI survey showing the bad news was carried out in mid July. What this GDP growth update says is that firms and consumers seemed not to care in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)

Business confidence has been clobbered - these figures are only the previous results. The surveys of business confidence about the near future show marked downward confidence. Markit data (the PMI and other indices) are predicting a slump over the next few months.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...b00b50d2e0fd5d

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.