Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am currently a full time student at a Scottish university and, as an EU citizen, I applied for tuition funding from SAAS. However, after one year, I decided to drop out of university and live in England. My question is, should I repay the tuition fee of £1820 for the past one year? And if yes -- what are the terms: should I pay the money back at once or I could do it in monthly payments? Are there some additional taxes?

I looked up on their website but could not find any relevant information about my case. I know that if you apply for bursary or a student loan you should repay them (and everything is described in details) but there is little to none information about the tuition fees for EU citizens :/ The only information I have so far is that with dropping out I violate one of the terms (that I plan to graduate in Scotland) and I only assume that I have to repay the money...

Thank you in advance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by artur.balabanov)
    Hello

I am currently a full time student at a Scottish university and, as an EU citizen, I applied for tuition funding from SAAS. However, after one year, I decided to drop out of university and live in England. My question is, should I repay the tuition fee of £1820 for the past one year? And if yes -- what are the terms: should I pay the money back at once or I could do it in monthly payments? Are there some additional taxes?

I looked up on their website but could not find any relevant information about my case. I know that if you apply for bursary or a student loan you should repay them (and everything is described in details) but there is little to none information about the tuition fees for EU citizens :/ The only information I have so far is that with dropping out I violate one of the terms (that I plan to graduate in Scotland) and I only assume that I have to repay the money...

Thank you in advance
    You will repay the £1820 but you don't have to physically hand over the money now. You begin making repayments in the normal way (monthly dedications from you salary) if you are earning over £21,000. Why do you want to drop out and move to England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You will repay the £1820 but you don't have to physically hand over the money now. You begin making repayments in the normal way (monthly dedications from you salary) if you are earning over £21,000. Why do you want to drop out and move to England?
    Thank you for your answer! I emailed my university just in case and their response is the following:
    Thank you for your email. You do not need to repay SAAS funded tuition fees. Your tuition fees are funded by the government, so you do not need to repay them, but your entitlement to future funding will be affected. If you decided to return to studies, you may not be eligible for support until the second year of your course.
    So, now I'm even more confused. I'll contact directly SAAS and update the post with their information.

Why did I decide to drop out? There are many factors that contributed to this but let's just say it wasn't for me in general. In the field I'm currently working -- IT, the degree isn't very important, and all the other benefits of the university life just don't apply to me for one reason or another.

That being said, if someone is in my position I strongly advice to think the things through very carefully, my case is just very specific and I'm still risking a lot.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by artur.balabanov)
    Thank you for your answer! I emailed my university just in case and their response is the following:

So, now I'm even more confused. I'll contact directly SAAS and update the post with their information.

Why did I decide to drop out? There are many factors that contributed to this but let's just say it wasn't for me in general. In the field I'm currently working -- IT, the degree isn't very important, and all the other benefits of the university life just don't apply to me for one reason or another.

That being said, if someone is in my position I strongly advice to think the things through very carefully, my case is just very specific and I'm still risking a lot.
    I thought you said you took out a loan? If you didn't take out a loan then you don't need to repay anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I thought you said you took out a loan? If you didn't take out a loan then you don't need to repay anything.
    Oh, perfect! I mentioned the loans, because I found information about them but not the standard tuition funding. Thank you again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.