Turn on thread page Beta

Sirius' Death - OOTP watch

ReputationRep:
    Haven't posted here before, so I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to devote an entire thread to a question, but I really am confused about his death.
    Why is it book 6 that they say there was no body to bury? Wasn't he just slashed (with a wand - can't describe it ) by Bellatrix Lestrange? He fell behind that 'veil', but I'm pretty sure it said that you could see the other side of it.
    Can anyone clarify?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sirius wasn't killed by Bellatrix, he was hit by one of her spells yes and that caused him to fall beyond the veil. Its because he's behind the veil that he's dead. No one can bring him back and no one could see the other side of it, just Harry and Luna heard some voices coming from it. I think it was only them that could hear it because just like with the Thestrals, they've seen death so they could hear the dead calling out to them from beyond the veil

ReputationRep:
    He didn't fall behind the veil - he fell through the veil. I can't remember whether we were ever told what it was, but Harry and Luna could hear voices through it and the very fact that it was in the Department of Mysteries meant it was dangerous. The room is called the Death Room so I think we're meant to believe that it's just a direct door to the afterlife, so he's dead simply by going through it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah as hang your heart said, Sirius fell through the Veil and there was no body as you cannot come back through the Veil

ReputationRep:
    So did his body just disappear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    So did his body just disappear?
    Yeah he dissapeared but Lupin knows he has died.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a nice visual of it in the film.

It's epic, by the well. Very well done.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the archway/veil was like a door into the afterlife thats wahy they could herar whispers when they were close to it

ReputationRep:
    it is Silent hill

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else has said, he fell "through" and not "behind" the veil.

It's pretty much the pivotal point for the theory that Sirius will return (there was no body to bury, no evidence he died, Bellatrix didn't use the killing curse etc.)

ReputationRep:
    I posted on another thread that one of D's middle names is Percival which means pierce the veil. Maybe D would be able to come back from the afterlife through the veil and bring back Sirius.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think JKR would do that.
    Once a character is dead, there is no coming back.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you get a very good visual in the film... and if I was not mistaken she actually does use the killing curse against him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Yeah, you get a very good visual in the film... and if I was not mistaken she actually does use the killing curse against him.
    In film or book?

In the book its not entirely clear, but I think we are meant to assume it wasn't AK. Bellatrix narrowly misses him with a "jet of red light" (not AK, which is green), then after he goads her on, hits him with "another jet of light" which makes him fall through the veil. Since the colour is not specified I would guess it is the same as the previous one and not AK.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm not sure you can perform the AK curse without speaking...I'd imagine Voldemort wouldn't say it if you could (like in Book 4 when Harry and Voldy are duelling).

ReputationRep:
    She definitely says AK during the film but it doesn't look like it is working properly--Sirius staggers and then falls through the veil. However, everything they lingered on (Sirius' family tree, etc) has relevance to later books, so maybe he is coming back. He's my favorite, so I'll keep hoping.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt like it that she used AK in the film. that wasnt meant to kill him, falling through the veil is the significant part.
    Im guessing they shoved AK in for people who havnt read the books, so they know he is definately dead.

ReputationRep:
    One thing that confused me was why Luna, Neville and Ginny weren't shocked and scared to see Siruis. I mean after all they still thought he was a serial killer didn't they?

ReputationRep:
    Strengtening the case for Sirius's return is the fact that in the film (not sure if it's in the book or not) Luna says "As my mother said, things you lose always have a habit of coming back to you" or words to that effect. Why include this in the film? I know the director of each film has to talk to JKR about which parts of the book are important and need to be included in the films- for example the family tree in Grimmauld place, the photograph of the order of the phoenix, etc etc. So maybe the line which Luna said is of significance in relation to the idea of Sirius returning -either in human form or not.
    In relation to the book- why did JKR make Sirius fall through the veil? Why couldn't he have just died by a killing curse? I think the whole point of the veil being of upmost importance in the book AND the film has significance. I don't see why, if Sirus was definately dead, JKR couldn't have just made him get hit by a killing curse. It would have ended it properly.
    Finally- the two way mirror. It would have been completely pointless to include this piece of information in the book if it was not to make another appearance later on. I think this is how Sirius may appear again in deathly hallows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    One thing that confused me was why Luna, Neville and Ginny weren't shocked and scared to see Siruis. I mean after all they still thought he was a serial killer didn't they?
    Ginny knows the truth - she's been living in 12 Grimmauld Place before that. I think there is some mention of her having told the others at some point. Luna thinks he a rock star or something as well, so I suppose that's why she's not so bothered anyway. Neville says to Harry after Sirius cops it something like "I'm sorry, was that man... Sirius Black... was he a friend of yours?" (which I though was really sweet, since as far as he knows Sirius is a serial killer, but he still comforts Harry)

I guess the fact that he turned up with the good guys and was clearly fighting the Death Eaters meant they weren't so scared. I guess they had more important things on their mind

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.