Turn on thread page Beta

Mobiles at Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My current pay as you go phone is dying and I need a new one, so what would you current Uni student recommend in terms of mobile phones - pay as you go or a contract? How much did you use your phone before? How much do you use it at Uni? (That's both in terms of texting and phone calls).

All respones gratefully appreciated .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    My current pay as you go phone is dying and I need a new one, so what would you current Uni student recommend in terms of mobile phones - pay as you go or a contract? How much did you use your phone before? How much do you use it at Uni? (That's both in terms of texting and phone calls).

All respones gratefully appreciated .
    Use it much more at uni. I had payg for about the first 2 months at uni and it was costing a fortune. I got a vodafone contract when it was on offer (reduced from £30 /pmonth to £20) and I get 200 free minutes anytime and 100 free texts p/month. Look for one on offer and you'll save a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    when i go to uni, im sticking with pay as you go. that way i can only pay for calls and texts when i got money - i dont want the prospect of a bill aswell as contract charge if i go over monthly allowance (which wud be probable!)

ReputationRep:
    I never really used mine before uni and still don't at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think that pay as you go is generally best cos that way you only pay for what you use and if you run out of dosh its too bad.

However, after going on holiday for 8 days before i left for uni I spent approx 95 pounds on phone credit :eek: and decided to opt for a contract - i'm not on free time 750 with T-mobile which is 13.99 a month before VAT for 750 free off peak minutes to land lines and T-mobiles, and 50 free texts a month. It suits me fine, and is far better than payin as I go...

I guess it just depends on how much you'll be using it.

ReputationRep:
    use mine less..

we have internal landlines.. hence can call anyone in their room for free. plus you'll be living either with or near most of your close friends probably! (ah..thinking about this, it depends on the uni i suppose)

ReputationRep:
    Pay as you go, unless you've got seriously good self-control.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cheap contract phone so you don't have to worry about running out of credit at a crucial situation. You also get a phone free as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on that T-Mobile Mix It contract, which I think is great as I know exactly what my bill will be each month (£25) and I get 500 free minutes and 150 free texts, and for me that is just enough

ReputationRep:
    personally i go for pay as you go, because when i had a contract phone i had huge bills and it was scary. i got a super-sexy deal on it too, so i get 500 free texts a month, which is more than i use anyway i think, and i don't make a huge amount of calls so it works out quite cheap, i spent less than £10 a month, which is lush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wa)
    personally i go for pay as you go, because when i had a contract phone i had huge bills and it was scary. i got a super-sexy deal on it too, so i get 500 free texts a month, which is more than i use anyway i think, and i don't make a huge amount of calls so it works out quite cheap, i spent less than £10 a month, which is lush.
    What deal was/is that?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure, i don't think they do it anymore. o2 (although it was cellnet back then) rang me up and offered me the sim card for it for a fiver, so i bought it! the only condition is that you top up £10 a month to get your free texts, but sometimes if you don't they carry on for a while anyway.......
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by covered farm wa)
    i'm not sure, i don't think they do it anymore. o2 (although it was cellnet back then) rang me up and offered me the sim card for it for a fiver, so i bought it! the only condition is that you top up £10 a month to get your free texts, but sometimes if you don't they carry on for a while anyway.......
    I think O2 still do this if you get the sim card from their website, it normally costs £10 I think but sometimes they offer it for free for a limited time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    I think O2 still do this if you get the sim card from their website, it normally costs £10 I think but sometimes they offer it for free for a limited time.
    Yeah they were the old Genie sim cards.. they're still around with O2, but only 300 free txts a month i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    Yeah they were the old Genie sim cards.. they're still around with O2, but only 300 free txts a month i think.
    yeah they are. you can get from the shops as well (i did that)... the first time i topped up they didn't stop my texts after the first month and i had free textx for ages and ages (til i topped up again)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    went to uni on pay as you go with no intention of chaning....by november i had a contract...500 mins 50 tex. i have now changes this to 100 min 100 tex.

if your in halls you'll find you wont want to tex that much (unless you have a bf back home) because if you ever want a conversation with people you just go knock on their door.

lvoe Katy ***

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.