The Student Room Group

CCTV Captures 'Diamond Robbers'

Ohhhhh! It's them! Yeah, you must recognise them! P Diddy, innit? Or maybe Michael Jackson? Or Martin Bell and Carlos Santana?

Actually, I can't tell a bloody thing. What a useless release. What's the point in CCTV if it's not clear enough to make out a face? And this is a jewellry store! It's not like they can't afford a decent camera. Hell, my mobile phone takes better photos. And it's 5 years old. Get with the times!

It's hardly "captured" them, has it? More like put a 6-inch fence around them. Or tied their hands with silly string....

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6287010.stm
I do wonder why, in an age of extremely high-resolution phone cameras, CCTV is still far worse quality than even the very earliest TV footage. You can get a better video of a happy-slapping than you can of a bank robbery.
It's the man from del monte.
That was the quality of the image released to the media, that doesn't mean it was the quality of the image recorded.
Agent Smith
I do wonder why, in an age of extremely high-resolution phone cameras, CCTV is still far worse quality than even the very earliest TV footage. You can get a better video of a happy-slapping than you can of a bank robbery.

Because you have to store all the images that you have recorded. If you had CCTV at a high resolution, think how often you would need to change tapes or how big a hard drive would you need? The latter shouldnt be a problem 2 or 3 years time. The other thing to remember is that shot is zoomed in, which also helps to explain the low resolution.
ChemistBoy
That was the quality of the image released to the media, that doesn't mean it was the quality of the image recorded.

I dont get why the police would release a low quality image.
RK89
The other thing to remember is that shot is zoomed in, which also helps to explain the low resolution.
True.
RK89
I dont get why the police would release a low quality image.

It's all about releasing just the right amount of information at the right time. The police may feel that disclosing images of the perps faces may not be appropriate at this time (i.e. increase their flight risk) but the clothing they were wearing during the robbery might give them some valuable leads. The police can, at times, manipulate the media very effectively.
ChemistBoy
It's all about releasing just the right amount of information at the right time. The police may feel that disclosing images of the perps faces may not be appropriate at this time (i.e. increase their flight risk) but the clothing they were wearing during the robbery might give them some valuable leads. The police can, at times, manipulate the media very effectively.

Hmm, you mean kind of lure them into thinking that they havent got a proper shot on them when they have. What you said sounds like good reasoning, but I doubt that they had got better shots from that camera, but I doubt it for the reasons i gave in reply to AgentSmith.
Reply 9
Well considering they used a Bentley as their getaway car, it's fairly obvious that we're talking about some major crime boss or other.
Cage
Well considering they used a Bentley as their getaway car, it's fairly obvious that we're talking about some major crime boss or other.

Lol, or the bentley was nicked along with the diamond. Actually coming to think about it the bentley is a perfect getaway car, which police officer would stop a bentley?
RK89
Hmm, you mean kind of lure them into thinking that they havent got a proper shot on them when they have. What you said sounds like good reasoning, but I doubt that they had got better shots from that camera, but I doubt it for the reasons i gave in reply to AgentSmith.

Depends on the refresh rate though, we just don't know tbh.
ChemistBoy
Depends on the refresh rate though, we just don't know tbh.

If you look really closely you can tell its in the entrance of a shop. Just for comparision, my camera system has a pretty low refresh rate, fills 120gig in 3 days (so 60gig per camera) and would not give a greater quality pic than that in the photo at the distance the shot seems to be at.
RK89
If you look really closely you can tell its in the entrance of a shop. Just for comparision, my camera system has a pretty low refresh rate, fills 120gig in 3 days (so 60gig per camera) and would not give a greater quality pic than that in the photo at the distance the shot seems to be at.

Sounds like they put their cameras in stupid places and/or we are only seeing one shot from one camera (not neccesarily the best one)... This is a big diamond dealers I reckon they'll have a few cameras.
ChemistBoy
Sounds like they put their cameras in stupid places and/or we are only seeing one shot from one camera (not neccesarily the best one)... This is a big diamond dealers I reckon they'll have a few cameras.

lol, they must have known the cameras were ****, or they were just very lucky. I reckon its an inside job personally.
RK89
lol, they must have known the cameras were ****, or they were just very lucky. I reckon its an inside job personally.

Yeah, I think you're right.
Reply 16
Worzo

Ohhhhh! It's them! Yeah, you must recognise them! P Diddy, innit? Or maybe Michael Jackson? Or Martin Bell and Carlos Santana?

That picture reminds me of Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal. The scene where he walks into a perfume shop in Florence.
Reply 17
Those guys have got some style. No balaclava's on them!

It is a crap image, and I'm not sure how it contributes to apprehending them exactly. Perhaps just to provide a profile of: two rich guys :p:.
Reply 18
_jackofdiamonds
It's the man from del monte.

And, of course, the man from Del Monte says "Give me all your ****ing money in a bag".

He was bored of being a repetitive, monosyllablic advertising tool.

Latest

Trending

Trending