Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am thinking about studying pharmacy at uni but I am confused about what mpharm actually means. I found out that it stands for master of pharmacy but does it mean that by the end of the fourth year, you will have a masters degree in pharmacy? I also heard that if thats the case, you can move straight onto getting a PHD after doing 4 years of Mpharm... Any clarification will be amazing as I am not certain.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, I am thinking about studying pharmacy at uni but I am confused about what mpharm actually means. I found out that it stands for master of pharmacy but does it mean that by the end of the fourth year, you will have a masters degree in pharmacy? I also heard that if thats the case, you can move straight onto getting a PHD after doing 4 years of Mpharm... Any clarification will be amazing as I am not certain.

Thanks.
    Yes, that's correct. But the MPharm alone doesn't not allow you to register and work as a pharmacist; you need to complete the pre-registration year, which follows on directly from the MPharm degree. During this year you work in a supervised capacity in either community, a CCG, hospital, industry, or a combination of these sectors, and after successful completion of the year, you're cleared to sit the registration assessment by your pre-registration tutor, after passing which you are registered with the GPhC (regulator of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmacies in the UK) and can call yourself and work as a pharmacist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Yes, that's correct. But the MPharm alone doesn't not allow you to register and work as a pharmacist; you need to complete the pre-registration year, which follows on directly from the MPharm degree. During this year you work in a supervised capacity in either community, a CCG, hospital, industry, or a combination of these sectors, and after successful completion of the year, you're cleared to sit the registration assessment by your pre-registration tutor, after passing which you are registered with the GPhC (regulator of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmacies in the UK) and can call yourself and work as a pharmacist.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I also heard that if you don't manage to find a placement in the pre-registration year, then you will be in trouble as it is very competitive. Does it mean you cannot qualify to be a pharmacist? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I also heard that if you don't manage to find a placement in the pre-registration year, then you will be in trouble as it is very competitive. Does it mean you cannot qualify to be a pharmacist? Thanks
    You have 8 years from the date you start your degree to register with the GPhC as a pharmacist, so that would mean that you have 4 years after your MPharm to complete the pre-registration year. If you do not pass the pre-registration year within 8 years, you cannot register and work as a pharmacist in the UK, unless you have certain mitigating circumstances, e.g. periods of chronic illness, maternity leave, etc.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.