Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad is a really old-fashioned guy, computer illiterate, etc.

I want to do something in computers but I've got a place at University to do an humanities subject. I want to pull out of this, though, because I don't think it'll help me get to my goal of a career of computers. However, he seems to think that if I drop out I'll just be stuck upstairs doing nothing, when I'm actually learning about computers, building my portfolio, etc.

Just now I said to him 'I plan to either get into University next year doing a computer subject or get an internship on computers.' He said 'Yeah, well get on looking at internships.' I said 'That's what I've been doing the past few days'. While I had been doing that, what I meant was that I'd been building my portfolio, so was unsure how to reply and make it sound ood when he responded 'Well, what internships have you been looking at?' I told him one I told him about yesterday but couldn't remember any others.

I was annoyed at getting caught out like this but then explained that I'm trying to learn about computers and building my portfolio. I told him 'Before I look at internships properly I first need to learn how to do it. I'm currently learning to code.'

Being computer illiterate, he replied 'Code? What's that?' I replied 'How you get the computer to do stuff'. He, knowing literally nothing about computers, obviously didn't believe me. For some reason he just can't wrap his head around this type of thing and thus takes anything I say about them as me just making stuff up.

It's so frustrating; how am I meant to explain what I want to do as a career to someone who doesn't know, nor is able to, nor care, about anything to do with it?

Plus, on top of that, I can see why he's concerned because I am as well: my older sister spent years doing nothing on a computer pretending as though she was writing a book. As a result, my sister, who we hate and haven't seen nor spoken to in years, has kind of damaged my chances of doing what I want to, because now my dad won't believe me when I say I'm doing something productive on the computer. He's concerned I'll be doing the same as my sister (and I'm actually concerned I'll end up like her as well).

I feel rather trapped.

ReputationRep:
    Try actually showing him instead of explaining what youve been doing. Might be easier to wrap his head round if he sees what you can do with a computer?

(Original post by IrrationalMan)
    Try actually showing him instead of explaining what youve been doing. Might be easier to wrap his head round if he sees what you can do with a computer?
    I've tried, admittedly very occasionally, to show him stuff before. All he does is look out the window not paying attention. He literally hates computers and was complaining just this morning how everyone's on their phones all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Try explaining to him that we live in the 21st century now where everything is done by technology now and phones are taking over

ReputationRep:
    If your just learning how to code now you basically are wasting your time.
    Everyone these days is a 'freelance website designer' or something like that.
    Just apply for computer science or get a lot of experience (the second is too late for you, unless you don't mind spending a couple of years).

Make sure you get a placement year as well.

(Original post by whydoidothis?)
    If your just learning how to code now you basically are wasting your time.
    Everyone these days is a 'freelance website designer' or something like that.
    Just apply for computer science or get a lot of experience (the second is too late for you, unless you don't mind spending a couple of years).

Make sure you get a placement year as well.
    Actually, I've been doing this sort of thing for years now but that was just as a hobby. I've got enough experience but there are still things I feel I need to learn and do before getting properly involved big time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Actually, I've been doing this sort of thing for years now but that was just as a hobby. I've got enough experience but there are still things I feel I need to learn and do before getting properly involved big time.
    I would go on the technology careers sub-forum on here, post all your stuff and get proper advice. Quite a lot of people on this website have been in the industry for many years.

Afterwards, when you get some facts etc. Show your dad. Hes just worried you have no idea what your doing, which parents do most of the time when you disagree with them.

(Original post by whydoidothis?)
    I would go on the technology careers sub-forum on here, post all your stuff and get proper advice. Quite a lot of people on this website have been in the industry for many years.

Afterwards, when you get some facts etc. Show your dad. Hes just worried you have no idea what your doing, which parents do most of the time when you disagree with them.
    That's a good idea, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea, thanks.
    Why don't you just start a CS degree in Spetember? There will be places in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a really old-fashioned guy, computer illiterate, etc.

I want to do something in computers but I've got a place at University to do an humanities subject. I want to pull out of this, though, because I don't think it'll help me get to my goal of a career of computers. However, he seems to think that if I drop out I'll just be stuck upstairs doing nothing, when I'm actually learning about computers, building my portfolio, etc.

Just now I said to him 'I plan to either get into University next year doing a computer subject or get an internship on computers.' He said 'Yeah, well get on looking at internships.' I said 'That's what I've been doing the past few days'. While I had been doing that, what I meant was that I'd been building my portfolio, so was unsure how to reply and make it sound ood when he responded 'Well, what internships have you been looking at?' I told him one I told him about yesterday but couldn't remember any others.

I was annoyed at getting caught out like this but then explained that I'm trying to learn about computers and building my portfolio. I told him 'Before I look at internships properly I first need to learn how to do it. I'm currently learning to code.'

Being computer illiterate, he replied 'Code? What's that?' I replied 'How you get the computer to do stuff'. He, knowing literally nothing about computers, obviously didn't believe me. For some reason he just can't wrap his head around this type of thing and thus takes anything I say about them as me just making stuff up.

It's so frustrating; how am I meant to explain what I want to do as a career to someone who doesn't know, nor is able to, nor care, about anything to do with it?

Plus, on top of that, I can see why he's concerned because I am as well: my older sister spent years doing nothing on a computer pretending as though she was writing a book. As a result, my sister, who we hate and haven't seen nor spoken to in years, has kind of damaged my chances of doing what I want to, because now my dad won't believe me when I say I'm doing something productive on the computer. He's concerned I'll be doing the same as my sister (and I'm actually concerned I'll end up like her as well).

I feel rather trapped.
    I had a similar issue. My father wanted me studying dental technology as he owns a clinic/ lab. I got a place for the course but I dropped out last minute as I wanted to study nursing. He still doesn't really agree with it but that's his issue.

You show him through taking action. Apply for the course you want or the intern-ship, show your plans come to fruitions. This is the only way old fashioned people will understand you and what you want to do.

(Original post by tailred)
    I had a similar issue. My father wanted me studying dental technology as he owns a clinic/ lab. I got a place for the course but I dropped out last minute as I wanted to study nursing. He still doesn't really agree with it but that's his issue.

You show him through taking action. Apply for the course you want or the intern-ship, show your plans come to fruitions. This is the only way old fashioned people will understand you and what you want to do.
    It'll take a lot of convicing. I've been successful in competitions to do with what I want a career in but he still seems to think I'm just doing nothing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.