Turn on thread page Beta

Bad AS Grades, how much it will impact my chances?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With results day inbound soon, I really think I've screwed my AS grades. Below are the subjects I'm doing and my potential university choices. Am I thinking out of my league??

Maths-A
    Further Maths-C/D-ill for one exam-also FP1 on OCR MEI
    Physics-B
    History-D

Warwick
    Bath
    St Andrews
    Lancaster
    Nottingham/Manchester

I'm definitely dropping History, leaving me with Maths,Physics and Further Maths. My physics is a new style A-level how will that affect me?
    Further Maths I intend to retake the AS and continue to A2. Warwick is the dream not to do Maths but MORSE where the offer is slightly lower. How much impact will personal statement make?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Niz2206)
    With results day inbound soon, I really think I've screwed my AS grades. Below are the subjects I'm doing and my potential university choices. Am I thinking out of my league??

Maths-A
    Physics-B
    History-D

Warwick
    Bath
    St Andrews
    Lancaster
    Nottingham/Manchester

I'm definitely dropping History, leaving me with Maths,Physics and Further Maths. My physics is a new style A-level how will that affect me?
    Further Maths I intend to retake the AS and continue to A2. Warwick is the dream not to do Maths but MORSE where the offer is slightly lower. How much impact will personal statement make?
    For Maths the PS is not very important.

Your ASs will guide your A-level predictions and, for Maths, directly impact your A2 results, but it's still quite possible you'll get offers though. They do tend to over-offer (not so much St Andrews though). Your challenge, realistically, will be achieving it.

ReputationRep:
    Aim to get predicted a grade higher for A2 on the lower grades, and you should have a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    For Maths the PS is not very important.

Your ASs will guide your A-level predictions and, for Maths, directly impact your A2 results, but it's still quite possible you'll get offers though. They do tend to over-offer (not so much St Andrews though). Your challenge, realistically, will be achieving it.
    Yeah I reckon if I get an A in maths this year I can hopefully go on and try get an A* who knows?? ahaha. Also this over offer could you explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Aim to get predicted a grade higher for A2 on the lower grades, and you should have a shot
    Thanks for that, is now the time to work ahead to get higher predicted a2 grades. I feel like I've got quite a mountain climb considering I'm not the hardest worker ahaha.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah I reckon if I get an A in maths this year I can hopefully go on and try get an A* who knows?? ahaha. Also this over offer could you explain?
    Universities give offers to many more applicants than they have places. e.g. Bath offer to >90% of Maths applicants. Warwick is similar.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be fine, I got 3 offers for ABB with BCD at AS

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: Can teachers talk **** about you in a reference in ucas?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by chigs_nigs)
    Quick question: Can teachers talk **** about you in a reference in ucas?
    You would be better starting your own thread to ask this; but short answer is they can't say things that are untrue.

ReputationRep:
    You should be okay. I'll be honest. My mate got into MORSE with AAAC at AS. Thats the kinda league you are entering. I got BBBC at AS and got an AAB offer from Warwick. And an AAA offer from Durham. Speak to your teachers. Make sure you can get predicted whatever you need. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    You should be okay. I'll be honest. My mate got into MORSE with AAAC at AS. Thats the kinda league you are entering. I got BBBC at AS and got an AAB offer from Warwick. And an AAA offer from Durham. Speak to your teachers. Make sure you can get predicted whatever you need. Good luck!
    Ah thanks relives the pressure!! What was your offer for??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    What for??

ReputationRep:
    What for??
    Biological sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    Biological sciences
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    Where?
    Surrey, Leicester, and Reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    From which unis? and what course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    From which unis? and what course
    look above

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks relives the pressure!! What was your offer for??
    Biological sciences with intergrated masters :P

ReputationRep:

Maths-A
    Physics-B
    History-D

Warwick
    Bath
    St Andrews
    Lancaster
    Nottingham/Manchester

In the exact same situation. Warwick MORSE is the dream course but I messed up. I'm pretty much aiming to do a gap year since I doubt I'll get an offer to a course I would enjoy. Just got to be different this year and work hard from the first day I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    In the exact same situation. Warwick MORSE is the dream course but I messed up. I'm pretty much aiming to do a gap year since I doubt I'll get an offer to a course I would enjoy. Just got to be different this year and work hard from the first day I guess.
    Did you get your AS's today then?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.