Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

% of Students getting 3 As watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTJ)
    The required standard has slipped so much that getting 3As is no real achievement anymore. There's no value in the grades.
    There may not be value in the grades themselves but there is value in what they mean to the student. It's all about getting your university offer, be it BCC or AAAAA. The grades are really valuable to those who need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Then we may as well leave school at 14 and get a job at the local tyre factory.
    If i had a tyre factory near my house then i wouldnt have gone to college...! I think its quite ignorant to say that 3 A's is no achievement, if 8% or whatever get 3 A's and many people dont go to college etc beforehand, that puts a person with three A's in the top 2 or 3 % of all young people in britain, to call it meaningless is offensive. Also, the exam standard, although relevant, should not be the decisive factor as still a person with AAA as opposed to CCD has done better in the exams and if they cant sit harder exams (i know theres AEA's but not many people do them) then how can they ever justify their intelligence to a point to satisfy the people who frown upon the exam system? They've achieved the uppermost the system allows, and that is an achievement. Woah, what a rant
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by zazy)
    Because of increased competition if you want to be at the top 3A's aren't anything really, a minimum of 4 A's is something harder to achieve for most people..
    I don't believe that more As than 3 does anything to aid your application to the most competetive unis/courses - they're more interested in your qualities and enthusiasm for the subject than they are in one or two more A grades.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAA at my AS-levels and an A* at a GCSE i did during the same year ( and didn't go to a grammar school). Some people in my year who went to the same place got, AAAA, AAAB, AAAB, AAAB, AAAC, AACC, AABD. Those are the only people I know though who got 2 or more As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    If i had a tyre factory near my house then i wouldnt have gone to college...! I think its quite ignorant to say that 3 A's is no achievement, if 8% or whatever get 3 A's and many people dont go to college etc beforehand, that puts a person with three A's in the top 2 or 3 % of all young people in britain, to call it meaningless is offensive. Also, the exam standard, although relevant, should not be the decisive factor as still a person with AAA as opposed to CCD has done better in the exams and if they cant sit harder exams (i know theres AEA's but not many people do them) then how can they ever justify their intelligence to a point to satisfy the people who frown upon the exam system? They've achieved the uppermost the system allows, and that is an achievement. Woah, what a rant
    I agree totally! I am fed up of remarks suggesting my grades (and others who got similarly good grades) aren't so special. We worked hard!

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I don't believe that more As than 3 does anything to aid your application to the most competetive unis/courses - they're more interested in your qualities and enthusiasm for the subject than they are in one or two more A grades.
    normally though you apply to uni before they know how many A-grades you have (yes, I know some people apply after gap years or as mature students etc..) surely?

if you meant at AS, I think most unis do expect you to have more than 3 (usually 4/5) unless they are told specially by your school that for some reason your school only does 3 subjects at AS or whatever.

so when you apply (for most people) the unis don't know how many A-grades you will get, only how many subjects you do. I don't think taking lots of extra A-levels automatically gives you an advantage, but it does show you can manage your time well and are willing to put in extra effort - especially if your school makes a point in the reference that you have chosen to do an extra subject voluntarily etc, not that it was forced upon you.

for interviews and so on I think doing a different but related subject can help you because you have extra background knowledge to draw upon (not that you can't acquire this in other ways, of course).

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who got 6 1/2 A's at A-level!!

(Original post by charlord)
    i know someone who got 6 1/2 A's at A-level!!
    how exactly do you get half an "A at A-level"?

if you mean an A in an AS, that is not the same as half an A in an A-level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    how exactly do you get half an "A at A-level"?

if you mean an A in an AS, that is not the same as half an A in an A-level :rolleyes:

i meant 6 a's at a level
    and an a at as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial_baby)
    yeh but u still got 2 work u a$$ off 2 get 3 A's
    Thats crap.

I have a mate who is naturally smart. He does less than 2 hrs revision and goes to less than 50% of lessons yet still got 4A's at A2.

(Original post by chud)
    Thats crap.

I have a mate who is naturally smart. He does less than 2 hrs revision and goes to less than 50% of lessons yet still got 4A's at A2.
    there are always exceptions to generalisations, but knowing 1 person who is very clever and can get A's without trying doesnt mean that "you have to work hard to get 3As" is crap applied to the vast majority of people.

ReputationRep:
    Can i just say that going to a private school doesn't mean that suddenly you are going to get fantastic marks. Paying to go to school is just securing good teaching becuase when you pay then you know that you won't get crap teachers who can't control classes like my old school.....also, if you have the opputunity, why not go for it?

And also Invisible just because people, like me go to priate schools that doesn't make us any different from other people. I only go to private school because my parents live abroad and i need to go to boarding school so private school was the only option. Think about that before you start ****ging us off again. Okay.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by InsertName)
    I only go to private school because my parents live abroad and i need to go to boarding school so private school was the only option.
    Not entirely true http://www.sbsa.org.uk/ there are a number of state run boarding schools where you only have to pay for your board and not your tuition.

(only posted it because it's one of those things that hardly anyone is aware of so it might be of interest)

Not entirely true http://www.sbsa.org.uk/ there are a number of state run boarding schools where you only have to pay for your board and not your tuition.

(only posted it because it's one of those things that hardly anyone is aware of so it might be of interest)
    i thought that when I read it, but I think also he(she?) might mean if his parents live abroad, he/she might not be eligible to have free schooling in the UK...i think?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by crana)
    i thought that when I read it, but I think also he(she?) might mean if his parents live abroad, he/she might not be eligible to have free schooling in the UK...i think?
    Admission is limited to children who are nationals of the UK and other European Union countries and those who have the right of residence in the UK.
    No comments on the residence status of the parents (in fact the main reason they still exist is to allow children of adults working abroad affordable boarding education places)

No comments on the residence status of the parents (in fact the main reason they still exist is to allow children of adults working abroad affordable boarding education places)
    uh huh but maybe if their parents live abroad the child is not an EU or UK citizenship?

I have known a couple of people who this applied to.. sometimes people would send their kids here for a "better education" and neither the parents nor the child were EU or UK citizens/nationals.

Although, I'm not sure what "those who have the right of residence in the UK" actually means!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, first i'm a girl. My dad's in the army. Nuff said on the whole abroad thing there and the only point i really wanted to put accross was that i didn't think it was fair how 'Invisible' or whatever her/his name is was ****ging off private schools. Okay, they get quite good results but that's because the kids there want to work and don't disrupt classes unlike my old school. I'm not saying state schools are bad it's just that i hate it when we're called snobs or rich *****es just because we go to private school.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by crana)
    uh huh but maybe if their parents live abroad the child is not an EU or UK citizenship?

I have known a couple of people who this applied to.. sometimes people would send their kids here for a "better education" and neither the parents nor the child were EU or UK citizens/nationals.

Although, I'm not sure what "those who have the right of residence in the UK" actually means!
    UK national means someone holding (or with the right to hold) a UK passport. Right to residence in the UK covers immigrants who aren't British citizens (for example a child granted asylum *could* decide to have his support payments made towards his board in the school rather than live in a care/foster home)

UK national means someone holding (or with the right to hold) a UK passport. Right to residence in the UK covers immigrants who aren't British citizens (for example a child granted asylum *could* decide to have his support payments made towards his board in the school rather than live in a care/foster home)
    Ah right. I get you.

So you could still have people whose parents lived abroad, who *had* to go to private schools in the UK because they were not eligible for UK state schools?

As an interesting point.. if you are not eligible for free UK state schooling...can you pay to have a place? or not? I didn't think you could but maybe you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    I think its quite ignorant to say that 3 A's is no achievement, if 8% or whatever get 3 A's and many people dont go to college etc beforehand, that puts a person with three A's in the top 2 or 3 % of all young people in britain, to call it meaningless is offensive. Also, the exam standard, although relevant, should not be the decisive factor as still a person with AAA as opposed to CCD has done better in the exams and if they cant sit harder exams (i know theres AEA's but not many people do them) then how can they ever justify their intelligence to a point to satisfy the people who frown upon the exam system? They've achieved the uppermost the system allows, and that is an achievement. Woah, what a rant
    The problem is that the value of the grades is lowered if it is easier to achieve them. There is no real opportunity (AEAs aside) for those at the top to really show how far ahead they are and this has the knock-on effect that universities are finding it increasingly difficult to make selections, hence the LNAT test, etc. The range of ability of those achieving A-grades is too great and this is not helped by those who jealously defend a standard that is undeniably slipping.

I am not arguing that those who manage 3 As, or more, have achieved nothing, rather that what they have achieved is not as special as it once was. It used to be something to own a video recorder; now everyone has one and it's nothing to shout about anymore.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.