The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I think private schools are unfair, in the sense that they provide better teaching because of the finanacial advantage of one's parents. When you go to a terrible comprehensive school and struggle to meet the grades to apply to cambridge, where you have always wanted to go, then you can say the playing field is level. Right now, that rather large 7% have an advantage over me, and I find that highly unfair.
Reply 101
We all buy in to the principle of money advantage though because it is intimately tied up in basic freedoms. Who is anyone, even government, to unconditionally force parents to educate their children outside of the state school system whether at home, in a private college, or in some system of alternative education? Would you frog march them and their children down to the school of the state's choice however inadequate that choice may be. The Government are not losing money through the existence of Private schools, they only gain. In order to create a level playing field for people's 'oh so so important' careers and c.vs would you also ban private tutors or intelligent parents helping kids with their homework etc.
Some of my family went to Fee Schools, some didn't, but we all did what had to be done to escape going to our nearest school (2 E at GCSE average and most kids English 2nd Language). that wouldn't have been a level playing field either. There never is. Raise standards, don't force people.

Latest

Trending

Trending