Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have it as insurance but am unsure if I should go through clearing instead if I don't get into my firm? Its for Physics and in clearing I liked the look of bristol, york, and exeter?
    Ive not visited any of the ones in clearing though so would it be worth it? Are the unis in clearing a lot better than surrey?
    Although I really liked surrey on the open day I'm worried its not a respected enough uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaySouth17)
    I have it as insurance but am unsure if I should go through clearing instead if I don't get into my firm? Its for Physics and in clearing I liked the look of bristol, york, and exeter?
    Ive not visited any of the ones in clearing though so would it be worth it? Are the unis in clearing a lot better than surrey?
    Although I really liked surrey on the open day I'm worried its not a respected enough uni?
    Surrey is a great uni and has a vg physics course - but it does not have the overall kudos/reputation of Bristol/York/Exeter. Surrey is a university in the ascendant- but it has, for example, a school of nursing, not a full medical school. There is snobbery attached to the reputation of many universities, formed in part by where most private school pupils go. Surrey is about 90% state school students, has more practical subjects (and impractical - it absorbed the Guildford school of drama) and therein lies the problem.

Do not be put off by doing physics there - it has a good rep for physics, is championed by Jim Al Khalili, and has excellent connections with other unis and businesses for a placement year, which is probably the most important thing you can do in terms of future employability, aside from getting a 1st/2i. If you want a career in physics remember that all unis have to follow the same core subjects to get IoP accreditation - so they all cover the same core. Look to see what the optional subjects are - if you think there is enough of a choice for you.

If you think you may leave physics - then maybe consider another uni which has greater snob value. Remember that employers have no real idea where unis are in the league tables for individual subjects - and that they are probably 20-25 years older than you, so remember which unis were the prestigious ones in their day. Surrey would be a respectable choice, but not a prestigious one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.