Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Olympics be cancelled? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the Olympics be cancelled?
    Yes
    18.75%
    No
    81.25%

ReputationRep:
    All the chat around the Zika virus has got me thinking... at what point does the Olympics get cancelled?

Do you think that the Olympics should be postponed or cancelled if there is any risk (however small) to the spectators or participants? Or is it over-caution?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    All the chat around the Zika virus has got me thinking... at what point does the Olympics get cancelled?

Do you think that the Olympics should be postponed or cancelled if there is any risk (however small) to the spectators or participants? Or is it over-caution?
    Well there's "no public health justification for postponing or cancelling the games" according to WHO.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/...e-olympics/en/

Although it's probably inevitable there will be some cases...

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually doing an EPQ on this very topic right now...
    well... procrastinating from said EPQ to be precise.

It's really interesting, there's so much we don't know about Zika. I think the most likely outcome from the Olympics is that a few people will bring it back to their countries, and in the case where they have the right mosquitoes in their home countries it will hang around in the background for a long time being a pain in the arse and coming back every 10-20 years or so.

However, you just can't cancel the Olympics. It's not going to happen, there's waay too much invested in it at this stage for that to happen. At most, they would restrict the number of spectators travelling to Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    Never should have been placed in Brazil, Rio has a large crime problem and having more people will not help. Not to mention the health worries
    I am sure Some Bribes I uh mean fair and totally non biased reasons are behind it happening in Brazil

ReputationRep:
    Zika seems to getting blown hugely out of proportion in the international media with regard to the Olympics.

It's a relatively harmless infection, unless you are pregnant (which I assume no olympic athlete is) or you get pregnant in the 6(ish) months after being infected (pretty easy for athletes to avoid). I suppose if they are dead set on getting pregnant immediately after the games and don't want to postpone that by six months, then there's a justification for not going. I'm gonna assume that that covers a very small number of athletes though.

ReputationRep:
    No of course not
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    More chance of being mugged or run over.
    Just about impossible to cancel now. People cna choose not to go but if people are ok with the risk then they should go including athletes who have trained 4+ years, businessses who have invested millions, Brazil which has spent billions, tens of thousands of jobs, fans who have bough tickets etc.

Leave it up to the WHO, countries and professionals.

For those voting for cancel, then be interesting to see why plus backed yp by some reasonable evidence as to the risk or whatever reason put forward.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Not because of Zika, but there's a tonne of other reasons to cancel it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Not because of Zika, but there's a tonne of other reasons to cancel it
    There are loads of economic and social reasons why it should never have been put on here in the first place, but cancelling it now would be just about the worst thing to happen. All the money and trouble put into the preparation would see zero return.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.