Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the Rio Olympics live up to the London Olympics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We all remember what a massive event that the Olympics was, for London and the rest of the UK, but will Rio be able to live up to it?

A lot of the news surrounding Rio has been negative; the Zika virus, emergency services not being paid etc. But will that be their legacy? After a ultimately successful and enjoyable World Cup in 2014, it would be shame if it was.

ReputationRep:
    If the current situation is anything to go by, I suspect there's more negative news to come out of Rio... Maybe even a terrorist attack given that it seems to be such an easy target with the police not being paid... I mean, what motivation do they have to do their job if they aren't being paid?

It's a disaster waiting to happen imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    If the current situation is anything to go by, I suspect there's more negative news to come out of Rio... Maybe even a terrorist attack given that it seems to be such an easy target given that the police aren't paid... I mean, what motivation do they have to do their job if they aren't being paid?

It's a disaster waiting to happen imo.
    Yeah exactly - there was a picture of a load of off-duty cops holding a sign to incoming tourists at the airport reading 'Welcome to Hell'

Do you think there should be a more rigorous process to whether a country can hold the Olympics?

It is a shame though because I bet the opening ceremony will be amazing! Brazil know how to party :dance:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything about the Olympics in Brazil...it will not live up to London I think. I highly doubt it! Isn't it meant to start in a week or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    I haven't heard anything about the Olympics in Brazil...it will not live up to London I think. I highly doubt it! Isn't it meant to start in a week or two?
    Yes it starts on the 5th of August! I think its taken a bit of step back as there has been so much bad stuff appearing in the news recently - plus anything involved with it has been controversial, e.g. the doping scandal surrounding Russia

ReputationRep:
    To us (Brits); no.

To pretty much everyone else around the world (except the Russians...); yes.

ReputationRep:
    Every major sporting event has problems and scare stories before hand but there may have been one too many for Rio to come back from. I think it will have to take some amazing performances in the actual sporting arena to provide a more positive legacy.

The IOC will also face a PR nightmare when a Russian medal winner tests positive.

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why not, they all have their ups and downs. Their own calamaties and successes which we can laugh or cry at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.