Turn on thread page Beta

Will the Rio Olympics live up to the London Olympics? watch

ReputationRep:
    We all remember what a massive event that the Olympics was, for London and the rest of the UK, but will Rio be able to live up to it?

A lot of the news surrounding Rio has been negative; the Zika virus, emergency services not being paid etc. But will that be their legacy? After a ultimately successful and enjoyable World Cup in 2014, it would be shame if it was.

ReputationRep:
    If the current situation is anything to go by, I suspect there's more negative news to come out of Rio... Maybe even a terrorist attack given that it seems to be such an easy target with the police not being paid... I mean, what motivation do they have to do their job if they aren't being paid?

It's a disaster waiting to happen imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    If the current situation is anything to go by, I suspect there's more negative news to come out of Rio... Maybe even a terrorist attack given that it seems to be such an easy target given that the police aren't paid... I mean, what motivation do they have to do their job if they aren't being paid?

It's a disaster waiting to happen imo.
    Yeah exactly - there was a picture of a load of off-duty cops holding a sign to incoming tourists at the airport reading 'Welcome to Hell'

Do you think there should be a more rigorous process to whether a country can hold the Olympics?

It is a shame though because I bet the opening ceremony will be amazing! Brazil know how to party :dance:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything about the Olympics in Brazil...it will not live up to London I think. I highly doubt it! Isn't it meant to start in a week or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    I haven't heard anything about the Olympics in Brazil...it will not live up to London I think. I highly doubt it! Isn't it meant to start in a week or two?
    Yes it starts on the 5th of August! I think its taken a bit of step back as there has been so much bad stuff appearing in the news recently - plus anything involved with it has been controversial, e.g. the doping scandal surrounding Russia

ReputationRep:
    To us (Brits); no.

To pretty much everyone else around the world (except the Russians...); yes.

ReputationRep:
    Every major sporting event has problems and scare stories before hand but there may have been one too many for Rio to come back from. I think it will have to take some amazing performances in the actual sporting arena to provide a more positive legacy.

The IOC will also face a PR nightmare when a Russian medal winner tests positive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see no reason why not, they all have their ups and downs. Their own calamaties and successes which we can laugh or cry at.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.