Internships and the Personal Statement (Law) Watch

timothyh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to take part in two one-week law internships at two different high-level law firms. I feel I should name the companies in my statement, but I'm afraid of coming across as cocky/pompous.

What are your thoughts? Thanks so much.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Names aren't important. What you did, learnt and how it's relevant to your application is.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by timothyh)
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to take part in two one-week law internships at two different high-level law firms. I feel I should name the companies in my statement, but I'm afraid of coming across as cocky/pompous.

What are your thoughts? Thanks so much.
No law is very competitive, definitely list it.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Names aren't important. What you did, learnt and how it's relevant to your application is.
Agreed. But I don't see the problem with naming who they have work experience with, OP just shouldn't make a big thing about who they are.

No?
timothyh
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
Agreed. But I don't see the problem with naming who they have work experience with, OP just shouldn't make a big thing about who they are.

No?
This is what I'm thinking, but I'd want to avoid any possibility of making a bad impression, right?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

No?
I didn't say not to name them I said they weren't important. If they take up a lot of characters or aren't universally recognised names then they don't add much if anything. Reflection is key.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by timothyh)
This is what I'm thinking, but I'd want to avoid any possibility of making a bad impression, right?
If you read a relevant book you mention the title and author, if you work somewhere you mention the company. It's not a problem to do so.

But as alleycat said, it's not the company name (or book) that is important, it's what you got from the experience and that's the interesting bit you should focus on in the PS.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
I didn't say not to name them I said they weren't important. If they take up a lot of characters or aren't universally recognised names then they don't add much if anything. Reflection is key.
Indeed.
timothyh
Rep:
?
If you read a relevant book you mention the title and author, if you work somewhere you mention the company. It's not a problem to do so.

But as alleycat said, it's not the company name (or book) that is important, it's what you got from the experience and that's the interesting bit you should focus on in the PS.
Perfect. Thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise