Turn on thread page Beta

A-level choices, some advice please! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I want to study Medicine at university so im taking maths chemistry biology and english literature at A-level,one problem:i took art at GCSE and loved it so i want to continue for A-level but i cannot swap it out because i love my other subjects which i need in order to study medicine. Im not sure whether i would be able to handle 5 and would be grateful for some advice, i know that i dont need 5 A-levels to get into uni and stuff but the teachers are always going on about how you should choose subjects you like and are good at.. I consider myself an average student and am expecting a mixture of A's and A*'s with one B/C(yup i suck at french) at GCSE. Will i be able to handle 5-A-levels as i am aware that the diffiulty of A-levels is far beyond that of GCSE's but at the same time some A-levels are easier than others and combination is key.Is MATHS CHEMISTRY BIOLOGY ENGLISH LITERATURE and ART a good idea?
    Thank you very much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'm going to say no.

Think of the amount of time you're going to spend on art work, then writing essays in English lit, as well as trying to keep up with the demanding content in bio/chem/maths... I don't think it would be wise to have such a large workload.

Medicine only requires 3 A levels, and you need to get the highest grades possible. There's no point in making it harder for yourself, especially when it gives you no advantage over other candidates. Don't forget that you also might be preparing for BMAT or UKCAT.

I'd say do 4 subjects at AS, then carry on with chemistry and biology to A2 plus another subject of your choosing (I believe maths isn't compulsory). Art or English literature could be part of a hobby instead.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, most people that want a career in medicine take maths, biology, chemistry and physics for AS and then drop one of the sciences for A2.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to do medicine then doing A-level art sounds rather pointless and a waste of time. Pick the subjects you need to get you onto your course and if you love art then do it in your spare time but don't pick it for an A-level. Art won't help you out whatsoever with a career in medicine so I'm struggling to see why you're looking at picking it ?

ReputationRep:
    To stand the best chance for medicine you ideally need to take 3 sciences and something else e.g. history, english lit, geography or another ' facilitating subject.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you then I would pick maths,bio, and chemistry, provided you're confident with maths, as maths is not THAT time consuming compared to a subject like art where you'll have constant deadlines and coursework to complete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    To stand the best chance for medicine you ideally need to take 3 sciences and something else e.g. history, english lit, geography or another ' facilitating subject.
    Completely false, unless you're applying to Cambridge, in which ONE college requires A-Level maths.

Candidates with three sciences are NOT looked upon more favourably than candidates with only two.

Also, the fourth can be anything. It does NOT have to be a facilitating subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francis_e_c)
    Completely false, unless you're applying to Cambridge, in which ONE college requires A-Level maths.

Candidates with three sciences are NOT looked upon more favourably than candidates with only two.

Also, the fourth can be anything. It does NOT have to be a facilitating subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry for providing incorrect advice OP ! I tried my best

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have Biology and Chemistry, yes. If you want to apply to Cambridge, as said, you will need Physics. Most universities make an offer on 3 A Levels therefore doing 5 will not give you an advantage. I also want to study Medicine, feel free to keep in touch if you have anymore questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisbey)
    As long as you have Biology and Chemistry, yes. If you want to apply to Cambridge, as said, you will need Physics. Most universities make an offer on 3 A Levels therefore doing 5 will not give you an advantage. I also want to study Medicine, feel free to keep in touch if you have anymore questions!
    False. You don't need physics to apply for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A Level art requires lots of work to get a high grade and so its probably best not to take it if you want to achieve high grades in the science subjects!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.