Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many lessons a week per subject? (How long)

How many free periods a week?

How much of anything else a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)

Obviously lesson numbers and free periods etc vary between sixth forms, but these were my 1st and 2nd year timetables
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Timetable.docx (16.8 KB, 478 views)

ReputationRep:

It will really depend on your sixth form, and even then it may vary from year to year (the year 12s had a very different timetable than I had, just one year later). But for me, in both year 12 and 13, I had one (1 hour) lesson of each subject, every day. The order varied each day, but there was never a day when I didn't have every subject. It's fine when you have several teachers for each subject, but in year 13 I effectively only had one teacher per subject... and, even when your teachers are fantastic, it can be a little boring seeing them every single day. As my school has 5 periods a day, that meant I had one free period per day in year 12, and two per day in year 13. The amount of free hours a week seemed ridiculous when I was starting sixth form, but they quickly became very necessary!

Your sixth form might also enforce other activities. In year 12, I had to complete the 'progression module' and lost one free period a week to it. it involved things like career plans but it was ultimately boring and useless, especially as it approached exam season. And the year below me had something like Career Advice in addition to the progression module. You may not have anything like that though, and if you don't, you're lucky, as losing free periods wasn't my favourite thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    During AS I had a day off each week, and around 12 lessons per week. At A2 it was the same but didn't get days off however on tuesdays and fridays I only had one lesson so I did skip it a few times to have the day off - especially when it came to exam season haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Obviously lesson numbers and free periods etc vary between sixth forms, but these were my 1st and 2nd year timetables
    geography geology and environmental studies?
    wow

ReputationRep:
    your subject choices are a bit weird lol - environmental studies and geology ? - do you love rocks that much ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    geography geology and environmental studies?
    wow
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    your subject choices are a bit weird lol - environmental studies and geology ? - do you love rocks that much ?!
    Why's it weird? I chose subjects I was interested in, and I got onto the degree I wanted. Geology isn't just rocks! It's the whole planet, and the other planets for that matter

ReputationRep:
    my sixth form just had normal lessons each 1 hour long and then free periods where most people went home or just messed around in the common room/ went to the shops

ReputationRep:
    I had 4 lessons a week per subject each lesson being 1.5hours.

Had like 6 hours free per week (Wasted it all obv)

ReputationRep:
    I go to a sixth form college and the timetable is like this:

9:30am - 12:00pm is lesson one
    12:00pm - 1:15pm is lunch
    1:15pm - 3:45pm is lesson 3

There's tutorial (form time) once a week and as for free periods you would get like 2-4 depending on how many subjects you do.

Even though the lessons are long we actually get a 15 minute break half way through.

ReputationRep:
    Why's it weird? I chose subjects I was interested in, and I got onto the degree I wanted. Geology isn't just rocks! It's the whole planet, and the other planets for that matter
    its cause they all seem like the same subject but if you love that sort of stuff then good for you

ReputationRep:
    its cause they all seem like the same subject but if you love that sort of stuff then good for you
    They do overlap in places, but I'm happy I chose them rather than the core sciences. I don't think I would've done as well as I did if I had taken different subjects

ReputationRep:
    They do overlap in places, but I'm happy I chose them rather than the core sciences. I don't think I would've done as well as I did if I had taken different subjects
    yh the best thing is to pick subjects you can do well in rather than subjects that look good e.g. chemistry ahah - what uni are you at and what are you currently studying ?

ReputationRep:
    yh the best thing is to pick subjects you can do well in rather than subjects that look good e.g. chemistry ahah - what uni are you at and what are you currently studying ?
    I'm going to study BSc Geoscience at Keele University in September! I'm pretty sure we discussed this on another thread

ReputationRep:
    I had...

- 5 lessons per subject
    - 5 free periods
    - 1 tutorial hour

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study BSc Geoscience at Keele University in September! I'm pretty sure we discussed this on another thread
    we might have done but honestly I can't remember . Keele's campus is amazing so I'm sure you'll have a great time. did you have a unconditional offer then or something ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I had...

- 5 lessons per subject
    - 5 free periods
    - 1 tutorial hour
    bit confused how people have these ' tutorial ' sessions, like I just had form time each day and then normal lessons like we had back in gcse but then again my sixth form was attached to my secondary school so maybe thats why it felt like i was still in year 11 haha

ReputationRep:
    we might have done but honestly I can't remember . Keele's campus is amazing so I'm sure you'll have a great time. did you have a unconditional offer then or something ?
    It sure is! Yeah, I applied at the start of my gap year and got an unconditional as I already had the required grades

ReputationRep:
    It sure is! Yeah, I applied at the start of my gap year and got an unconditional as I already had the required grades
    ah I see yh gosh applying during a gap year is such a good idea like the fact you can just get an unconditional and get accommodation sorted ect; I'd be buzzing if I were you !

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.