Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could anyone tell me their reading lists as I want to try and read some of the books over the summer, - I'm in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    could anyone tell me their reading lists as I want to try and read some of the books over the summer, - I'm in year 11.
    'What is History?' by Edward Hallett Carr is supposed to be good for prospective historians.

ReputationRep:
    hello! what countries, time periods will you be looking at?

keith jenkins, Rethinking history is a good one along the lines of the Carr book previously mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    It depends what you will be studying for AS. Let me know and I might be able to help with suggestions

ReputationRep:
    if you're in year 11 you really shouldn't overdo it. personally i found that all the history books I read before going to uni (although they were obviously quite interesting!) were of little to no use for studying the subject at degree level!!!
    apart from that - yes, carr and jenkins would be a possible introduction, even though you might want to look at some readings focusing on a specific period first rather than the more theoretical works.

ReputationRep:
    kool, I'm doing nazi germany and some Russia and Lenin - OCR

ReputationRep:
    Don't go nuts reading stuff before you get there. History courses usually have pretty heavy reading lists; you'll have plenty to do soon enough.

Also, your uni will specify both the texts and the way they want you to read them. They expect you to be able to learn history, not to know it already.

Rather than looking for a general historical text/source book, I'd recommend you read something you find inspiring, then figure out why it was so. What approach did the historian use that fired your enthusiasm?

You're going to have plenty of time for facts soon enough, and there's nothing better guaranteed to get you working than a love of your subject.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, at the moment I am trying to read outside the given area, my first book being the rise and fall of the third reich whihch is pretty heavy going!

ReputationRep:
    if you are doing the russian revolution then orlando figes' book "a peoples tragedy" is great. its very lucidly written. not dry at all!!! really very interesting. the style is readable yet this does not detract from the content of the book, it delves into the various debates, for example should we consider ideology to be a motivating factor behind the bolsheviks actions etc etc. really recommend it.
    i did both russia and germany, nineteenth and twentieth centuries so if you need any help or more advice please dont hesitate to contact me.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.