This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
could anyone tell me their reading lists as I want to try and read some of the books over the summer, - I'm in year 11.
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
could anyone tell me their reading lists as I want to try and read some of the books over the summer, - I'm in year 11.
'What is History?' by Edward Hallett Carr is supposed to be good for prospective historians.
Masonne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hello! what countries, time periods will you be looking at?

keith jenkins, Rethinking history is a good one along the lines of the Carr book previously mentioned.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
It depends what you will be studying for AS. Let me know and I might be able to help with suggestions
tommyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you're in year 11 you really shouldn't overdo it. personally i found that all the history books I read before going to uni (although they were obviously quite interesting!) were of little to no use for studying the subject at degree level!!!
apart from that - yes, carr and jenkins would be a possible introduction, even though you might want to look at some readings focusing on a specific period first rather than the more theoretical works.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
kool, I'm doing nazi germany and some Russia and Lenin - OCR
Tajel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't go nuts reading stuff before you get there. History courses usually have pretty heavy reading lists; you'll have plenty to do soon enough.

Also, your uni will specify both the texts and the way they want you to read them. They expect you to be able to learn history, not to know it already.

Rather than looking for a general historical text/source book, I'd recommend you read something you find inspiring, then figure out why it was so. What approach did the historian use that fired your enthusiasm?

You're going to have plenty of time for facts soon enough, and there's nothing better guaranteed to get you working than a love of your subject.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
yeah, at the moment I am trying to read outside the given area, my first book being the rise and fall of the third reich whihch is pretty heavy going!
Masonne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you are doing the russian revolution then orlando figes' book "a peoples tragedy" is great. its very lucidly written. not dry at all!!! really very interesting. the style is readable yet this does not detract from the content of the book, it delves into the various debates, for example should we consider ideology to be a motivating factor behind the bolsheviks actions etc etc. really recommend it.
i did both russia and germany, nineteenth and twentieth centuries so if you need any help or more advice please dont hesitate to contact me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
18.48%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
28.8%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (97)
52.72%

Watched Threads