Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Let's have a new thread for the new season.

Rugby coming soon:

Super Rugby

Semi-finals:
    Hurricanes v Chiefs – 08:35, Sat 30 Jul (Sky Sports 1 from 08:15)
    Lions v Highlanders – 14:00, Sat 30 Jul (Sky Sports 4 from 13:45)

Final:
    Sat 06 Aug

Rugby Championship

Australia v New Zealand – 11:05, Sat 20 Aug (Sky Sports 3 from 10:30)
    South Africa v Argentina – 16:05, Sat 20 Aug (Sky Sports 4 from 15:55)

New Zealand v Australia – 08:35, Sat 27 Aug (Sky Sports 4 from 08:00)
    Argentina v South Africa – 20:40, Sat 27 Aug (Sky Sports 2 from 20:30)

New Zealand v Argentina – 08:35, Sat 10 Sep (Sky Sports 2 from 08:00)
    Australia v South Africa – 11:05, Sat 10 Sep (Sky Sports 3 from 10:30)

New Zealand v South Africa – 08:35, Sat 17 Sep (Sky Sports 3 from 08:00)
    Australia v Argentina – 11:05, Sat 17 Sep (Sky Sports 3 from 10:30)

Aviva Premiership

Gloucester v Leicester – 19:45, Fri 02 Sep (BT Sport)
    Newcastle v Sale – 20:00, Fri 02 Sep
    Saracens v Worcester – 14:00, Sat 03 Sep (BT Sport)
    Northampton v Bath – 15:00, Sat 03 Sep
    Harlequins v Bristol – 16:30, Sat 03 Sep (BT Sport)
    Wasps v Exeter – 15:00, Sun 04 Sep (BT Sport)

Guinness Pro 12

Leinster v Treviso – 19:35, Fri 02 Sep
    Ospreys v Zebre – 19:35, Fri 02 Sep (BBC Two Wales)
    Ulster v Dragons – 19:35, Fri 02 Sep (BBC Two NI)
    Scarlets v Munster – 15:00, Sat 03 Sep (Sky Sports)
    Connacht v Glasgow – 17:15, Sat 03 Sep (Sky Sports)
    Blues v Edinburgh – 19:35, Sat 03 Sep (S4C)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    All users with 5+ posts last season:

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Astrtricks)
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    (Original post by leahdw)
    (Original post by Chez231)
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    (Original post by Skitee)
    (Original post by Mackay)
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    (Original post by matt1306)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Season predictions 2016/17

Rugby Championship: New Zealand (+ Grand Slam)
    Six Nations: Wales
    Lions Tour: New Zealand 3-0

Premiership: Saracens
    Pro12: Leinster
    Champions Cup: Racing 92

ReputationRep:
    In.

Rugby Championship: New Zealand, by a country mile.
    Six Nations: England or Wales on points difference, if I had to bet, England.
    Lions tour: NZ 2-1, I think it'll be a cracking series.

Saracens to win the Premierhsip and European honours. Pro 12 is anyone's game.

ReputationRep:

Six Nations: England (+ Grand Slam)
    Lions Tour: New Zealand 2-1

(Runners up Leicester Tigers, Semi finalists - Northampton Saints and Wasps)
    Pro12: Glasgow
    Champions Cup: Hardest one - winner of pool 3 for me so either Toulon or Saracens.

In terms of my squad, Leicester Tigers, I think we'll improve again this season by the looks of the new backline. If the forwards can return to the form they have been at for the years prior to 2014/15 then I think we'll be pushing for both titles. Team moral at the Tigers training camp is very very high. But I can't see Saracens being beaton (other than at Welford Road :P )

Can I add one for the young squads and squad rotation, Anglo Welsh cup?

Anglo Welsh Cup - Leicester Tigers (just feel our squad has really good strength in depth)

Damm I can't wait for the season to start

But I can't see Saracens being beaton (other than at Welford Road :P )
    Damm I can't wait for the season to start
    Lets wait and see...hopefully you're wrong! How are you Matt?

ReputationRep:
    Lets wait and see...hopefully you're wrong! How are you Matt?
    Hehe

I'm good thank you, enjoying a bit of time off from all of the hard work But seriously missing rugby! How are you?

Hehe

I'm good thank you, enjoying a bit of time off from all of the hard work But seriously missing rugby! How are you?
    Much the same, I'm looking looking at doing some short courses to do in the Sept. Maybe even a job haha, but it has been a balancing act of late tbh. Any results pending your end? I too am missing the rugby, hoping to go to the Double Header for my birthday as some friends are looking at going, and invited me along, but will have to see as I might be doing a party as its my big 3-0!

ReputationRep:
    Much the same, I'm looking looking at doing some short courses to do in the Sept. Maybe even a job haha, but it has been a balancing act of late tbh. Any results pending your end? I too am missing the rugby, hoping to go to the Double Header for my birthday as some friends are looking at going, and invited me along, but will have to see as I might be doing a party as its my big 3-0!
    That'll be pretty good! I'm getting my results for AS levels later this month for Biology and Physics so thats on the horizon but yeah not to much that'll a brilliant birthday bash if you could make it, be pretty good! Big celebration times

That'll be pretty good! I'm getting my results for AS levels later this month for Biology and Physics so thats on the horizon but yeah not to much that'll a brilliant birthday bash if you could make it, be pretty good! Big celebration times
    Start feeling too old for this place. Its been a rollercoaster ride being on here after the last few years. Its highlighted how not much can change in the time I started almost 11yrs ago.

ReputationRep:
    Subbed.

GB womens through to the semis in the Olympics. Looked much stronger today too! Fingers crossed they'll pull out a result against NZ tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be that guy, but I struggle to watch the women 7's, it's so bad.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be a tough season as a London Irish supporter. Opening game against Doncaster instead of LDH really brings it home.

Only good thing is that I have a number of friends and former club mates playing in the Championship, so it will be good to see them play.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Six Nations: Wales
    Lions Tour: New Zealand 3-0

Pro12: Leinster
    Champions Cup: Racing 92
    Championship I can't see anybody else but ABs winning, although I'm not sure they'll win all their games.Six Nations is England's to lose at the moment. We'll win, but will be beaten by either Ireland or Wales so no Grand Slam
    Lions tour will be 2-1 to the All Blacks (really hoping Gatland doesn't get the job as that hinders some of the standout players in UK getting starting places (Farrell, Hogg, Itoje all spring to mind as possibly missing out to his favourites)

Premiership: I really want to say Quins as a fan, but I don't have high hopes this year with Kingston in charge.
    Pro 12: Agreed on Leinster
    Champions Cup: I fancy Sarries for it again.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I don't want to be that guy, but I struggle to watch the women 7's, it's so bad.
    I prefer to call it woefully and shamefully underfunded 7's. The standard of women's rugby has improved dramatically over the last 5 years since more money has been pumped into it. Another 4 years of more spending on training/facilities/contracts will do the game the world of good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Wallace)
    It's going to be a tough season as a London Irish supporter. Opening game against Doncaster instead of LDH really brings it home.

Only good thing is that I have a number of friends and former club mates playing in the Championship, so it will be good to see them play.
    I'm gunna miss you in the Premiership! Always a regular team that will be missed! Will be supporting you guys in the championship this season and hope you bounce straight back up!

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the new season!

My predictions.

Rugby Championship: New Zealand (Grand Slam) - after watching the Australia v NZ match and also the 3-0 loss of the England series, Australia seem shot of confidence. Need to see a bit more of SA.

Premiership: As much as I'd like to say Leicester, I think it could be Saracens again. I think we'll be runners up though. Relegated - Worcester.

Pro 12: I don't watch enough of it to make a good guess, sorry!

Six Nations: England. I'm unsure if we can secure a Grand Slam again, possibly a loss to Wales or Ireland.

Lions Tour: NZ to win 2 - 1.

Champion's Cup: Either Saracens/Racing/Toulon.

Autumn Internationals (England, winners in bold): England v South Africa, England v Fiji, England v Argentina, England v Australia. I'm an optimist and really think we will grow stronger!

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on the Owen Franks eye gouge? Unbelievable how he got away with it in both the game and after the game. Potentially over the top to say corruption at the top but it's just absurd how he hasn't been cited.

Australia and South Aftica really do look like they're there for the taking this Autum, hopefully the northern hemisphere can finally overcome the dominance of the South. New Zealand still head and shoulders above, however.

Also, how come England are playing Aus again and not New Zealand? I'd be quite disappointed if I was an England fan.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thoughts on the Owen Franks eye gouge? Unbelievable how he got away with it in both the game and after the game. Potentially over the top to say corruption at the top but it's just absurd how he hasn't been cited.

Australia and South Aftica really do look like they're there for the taking this Autum, hopefully the northern hemisphere can finally overcome the dominance of the South. New Zealand still head and shoulders above, however.

Also, how come England are playing Aus again and not New Zealand? I'd be quite disappointed if I was an England fan.
    I'm amazed they didn't even cite Franks – normally something even 50:50 is a citing even if they clear the player in the week.

Anything less than 4 from 4 for England would be quite disappointing given we have beaten Australia already this year, and of course if Eddie Jones can beat the Boks with Japan...

I guess with the All Blacks, given they are such a cash cow for the host union I imagine there is a fair bit of competition for them over the 3 or 4 weeks. (Though I believe the Wallabies are doing 5 Tests this autumn.) I don't remember the last time England didn't play NZ of an autumn (outside RWC years) and teams like France (Europe's other big union) don't play them with that frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Wales prop Tomas Francis was banned for eight weeks during the Six Nations match against England at Twickenham last March for making contact with the eyes of Leicester and Lions prop Dan Cole." Bit of a one sided penalty for a similar action! I wonder what will be decided. Maybe they feel that the grab of the face wasn't enough to suggest foul play!!

Its said that "World Rugby laws state that a player cannot make “contact with the eye area”, while two different angles suggest Franks touched Douglas’s eyes on one occasion, then grabs him around the neck a few seconds later." So I wonder if they're are going to review footage and do a later penalty, game ban or something? I wonder..lets wait and see. He is clearly grabbing the guys face and looking for something to cause harm, but whether it was a full on eye gouge we can't really see from the video circulating the net.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 7, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.