Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Islam neither 'all about' terrorism, nor 'nothing to do with' terrorism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And how do we deal with this?

I heard a point raised on radio, how many people who say Islam is the religion of peace, or has nothing to do with terror, have read the Koran?
    That seems a fair question to raise to me. So if we do not really understand the Koran or Islam, it merely becomes a platitude, put out there in a propagandist sense, I suppose because they are trying to do their best in creating societal harmony.(Though that would have been better achieved by sane immigration polices, not zealous ones)The trouble is the view is not objective.
    The evidence points more to the fact that terror is caused by a variety of factors, and whilst Islam is probably complex and not all about terror, it still is a common thread in virtually all global terror. To ignore this is not helping. So do we need the help of theologians, of muslims who are integrated, of muslims who are from peaceful strains of the religion? Do we need to work on how islam practices in this country, whilst sealing our borders?
    Clearly madness such as open border policies, and friendships with the Saudi regime who fund Wahabbism cannot be helping. Regarding such policies, am I just being naive in even assuming are rulers care about our civlization, or is there some twisted conspiracy to destroy Europe? Or are we simply witnessing the after effects of the likes of New Labour, a temporary insanity of cultural marxism pursued with zealotry against their hated conservative sector in England, which now even many of them are retreating from, even if only privately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I would say that as the quran is an essential part of Islam, and as it demands its followers to commit acts of terror against the unbelievers, that terrorism is a natural part of Islamic doctrine. I would also say that considering Islam's founder carried out and ordered such acts of terror and it is necessary to hold him in high regard in order to be a Muslim that it is difficult to associate Islam from a terrorist organisation, save from its claim to be a religion.
    So essentially, even though there will always be random nutcases around, we are talking here about an ideology, a faith that validates such behaviour at it's roots, and we are in denial in the west, or if not in denial, committing a kind of dishonest sin by not seeing it for what it is and putting ourselves, our own civilization at risk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    So essentially, even though there will always be random nutcases around, we are talking here about an ideology, a faith that validates such behaviour at it's roots, and we are in denial in the west, or if not in denial, committing a kind of dishonest sin by not seeing it for what it is and putting ourselves, our own civilization at risk?
    This is indeed the core problem with the view of Islam, and wider ideologies today. Rather than openly questioning and attempting to understanding the vast conflicts present in Islamic thought, leaders of society misinterpret it as either a 'religion of peace' or 'religion of violence'. Neither of these interpretations can be considered definite without appreciating the ambiguity associated with many of the verses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.