Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I wanna get some good web-building software for fairly cheap. I've heard dreamweaver is good but bit pricey. I've used frontpage before but its wizard is not great and my html knowledge is at best, average. So any suggestions?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That depends. If you have more money than sense (or just unfair amounts of money), get Dreamweaver (or Frontpage, which will probably be more expensive and is definitely worse). Personally I'd just say go and learn HTML free off the internet - it'll take you half an hour if you're determined and are learning from a decent website - and write it yourself. If you're doing anything particularly advanced, learn PHP and Javascript too. Anyway, I doubt Dreamweaver would even go halfway towards compensating for these latter two languages.

Disadvantage: takes time, you have to make your own graphics. Advantage: streamlined code, more unique page layout... dare I say "sense of satisfaction"?... skills you can apply elsewhere, no need for expensive software.

ReputationRep:
    I love it, learn php and javascript. Just like that.
    I have to ask, why do you want web building software? If you're looking for a one off site then you'd be best of learning a bit of html and modifying an open source template.

If you want to take it up there are a few ways.
    1. get a wysiwyg program and learn by seeing how the code is generated.
    2. look at sites' source code to see how things are done
    3. read a guide: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
    4. combinations of the above

I use notepadd ++ as it makes things much easier to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    start, run, notepad
    How can you possibly expect somebody with average html knowledge to just open notepad and create a site?

To the OP: I have absolutely NO html knowledge whatsoever. I made audioscribbler.co.uk with frontpage xp, it's an underrated program. Yes my site has some cross browser incompatibilities but I'm working on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    the same way i did :/
    Shame everybody isn't as talented and skilled as you, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insincere Dave)
    How can you possibly expect somebody with average html knowledge to just open notepad and create a site?

To the OP: I have absolutely NO html knowledge whatsoever. I made audioscribbler.co.uk with frontpage xp, it's an underrated program. Yes my site has some cross browser incompatibilities but I'm working on them.
    Cheers, I've already got a copy of that so I'll have a go but last time I'd didn't find it great.

Basically I'm creating a website for a shop, so its gonna be fairly basic a few pictures and some text spread over say 4 pages, but it needs to look very clean cut.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly would avoid using frontpage if you can, it produces non compliant bloated code and won't help you learn html properly. If you want a free wysiwyg editor look at nvu, it's open source and a lot of people I know like it.

Out of interest, do you plan on selling things from this website, or is it literally about a shop. If you want to sell you might be best off using some ecart software such as zen cart.

EDIT:
    link to NVU: http://www.nvu.com/index.php
    link to zen cart: http://www.zencart.com (will need php running on your server as well as a db)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue!)
    I honestly would avoid using frontpage if you can, it produces non compliant bloated code and won't help you learn html properly. If you want a free wysiwyg editor look at nvu, it's open source and a lot of people I know like it.

Out of interest, do you plan on selling things from this website, or is it literally about a shop. If you want to sell you might be best off using some ecart software such as zen cart.

EDIT:
    link to NVU: http://www.nvu.com/index.php
    link to zen cart: http://www.zencart.com (will need php running on your server as well as a db)
    Thanks, the html tutorials here look pretty useful. Nah, I'm not selling from it, purely just an 'about' page so nothing too fancy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 13, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.