Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Psychology at A level and are looking to do an Anthropology/Psychology degree. All my teachers are encouraging me to do an EPQ- has anyone taken one and found it a beneficial add to their statement or was it a poor investment and very time consuming? Also does it depend on the universities you apply as to how they recognise it?

ReputationRep:
    Some universities recognise it as a proper qualification and will lower the entry grades by 1 if you get an A/B in your EPQ. It's worth looking at the entry requirements for your chosen unis as, if they do say an EPQ will benefit you, it's definitely work doing and will give you some leeway if your A Levels don't go entirely to plan. Have a look at the modules for Psychology at your favourite university, and then see if you can think of an EPQ which contains elements from that module. For example, if the first term at your favourite uni is all about the psychology behind depression/mental illness, doing an EPQ in that area, like "how far does X Y and Z drug cure depression" or "how have treatments for mental illness changed over the last X many years", and so if you put that on your personal statement or brought it up in an interview, you'd be at an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Literal star! Thank you so much for the instant and brilliant advice- made my day!

ReputationRep:
    Bless you! No worries! EPQ is a bit of a drag and my year hate it, and I know I'll complain about it all year, but it will end up being really useful and I'm sure you'll find it similarly frustrating but eventually useful

ReputationRep:
    Yep, agree with what the first person said. I definitely think you should do it. I talked about it on my PS & one of the Universities I applied for (Leicester) included it in the offer!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.