Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so idk what to take since some people say they take all 4 of their folders to school and a note pad and stuff but i wanna carry little as possible. can i just take seperate not books and write or work on paper and keep the notes at home in folders ??

im studying sociology, re, photography and textiles.

so what do i need to take and how big of a bag do i need ??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by xayay)
    so idk what to take since some people say they take all 4 of their folders to school and a note pad and stuff but i wanna carry little as possible. can i just take seperate not books and write or work on paper and keep the notes at home in folders ??

so what do i need to take and how big of a bag do i need ?? i already own this bag http://www.lamoda.co.uk/venus-vs-mar...suede-backpack and was thinking i should take that but do you think its practical enough and big enough or should i just buy one of them massive handbags all the girls take to school ??
    Uhhh... You don't need much. I'm not sure how many notes or books you need for more practical subjects like textiles but you can take each folder per subject if you wish. For sociology take a notepad as I believe you need to make lots of notes in that subject. Just think about what kind of subjects you are doing and how much of what you will utilise for each. Nothing else really matters, you dont need anything fancy.

For the first day just take your bag, notepad and pens then from there on in it should be straightforward; they wont give you 1000 books to take home from the first day, this is nothing to be worried about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xayay)

so what do i need to take and how big of a bag do i need ?? i already own this bag http://www.lamoda.co.uk/venus-vs-mar...suede-backpack and was thinking i should take that but do you think its practical enough and big enough or should i just buy one of them massive handbags all the girls take to school ??
    Just bring a notebook for each subject that you have a lesson for on the day

ReputationRep:
    I had a book for subjects notes, then a file each for exercises/homework. Then you can revise from the book and you dont have to worry too much about the files. Also I carried into school 1 small file which had any homework/documents I needed to bring in for each day. Its much lighter than carrying around 4/5 separate folders.

ReputationRep:
    I was so lazy aha ;P

I used to only bring 1 notebook to write things down in for all subjects I took (and most of the time I forgot the notebook!).

Results day is going to be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    I had a book for subjects notes, then a file each for exercises/homework. Then you can revise from the book and you dont have to worry too much about the files. Also I carried into school 1 small file which had any homework/documents I needed to bring in for each day. Its much lighter than carrying around 4/5 separate folders.
    Thanks i might do that, since thats what i did for GCSES and i was fine when it came to revision. I just dont wanna be carrying around **** tonnes of stuff uno.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. If your sixth form experience is anything like mine then don't bother turning up. You'll get 10x as much done at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominae)
    I was so lazy aha ;P

I used to only bring 1 notebook to write things down in for all subjects I took (and most of the time I forgot the notebook!).

Results day is going to be great.
    I'm guessing your a year 12 student right?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, all I took to sixth form was one large notepad, textbooks for the day and a pencil case. I did start off using folders but eventually got fed up carrying around a tonne of paper I hardly ever used. If you want to keep all your notes I'd recommend just filing them at home when you no longer need them in your notepad for class. However, you will still probably need a bag large enough to fit an A4 textbook, or just use an old bag till you get settled in and know how much you need to carry each day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to do what I did for GCSE:

Take one notebook into school to write all class notes in etc
    Take one binder into school which has dividers for subjects and rip notes from notebook to store in these sections
    At home, have one binder for each subject
    Every few weeks or so, empty notes from your school folder into your ones at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths (2^2) Life)
    I'm guessing your a year 12 student right?
    Year 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominae)
    Year 13
    Lol then u should know u have to be prepared

ReputationRep:
    Well for GCSE I'd bring in exercise book, revision guide (if I had one), folder with handouts and work for each subject and my laptop. In sixth I'm sure I'll be carrying around a lot less paper as I intend to use the laptop more. You should be fine with an exercise book or notepad and a folder.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.