Can I manage 20 Hrs a Week Mon-Fri in a foundation year? Watch

Prefetch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm 25. I've been working since age 18. Currently in FT employment in Media and IT but leaving in September to start a computer science course.

About 2 months ago, I applied for a part time position in the civil service (20 hrs, evenings, Monday-Fri) doing admin assist on the CRB checks.I got an invite for assessment and interview today but thinking about it more and more I just worry this is gonna be too much.

My commute to Uni is gonna be about an hour and 10 mins in the first year because I'm doing a foundation year off-campus. I don't know what the time commitments are with regard to the foundation year, but I know I only have to be there for classes, so if I don't have one until 12, I don't need to be in until 12.

I would then have to commute back and pull a 6-10 shift every Mon-Fri.

I'll have the weekends free.

I would really like to do both (Not least because I'll be pulling in £192 a week on top of the maintenance loan) but obviously the course would be more important. Do you think it's doable?Thanks
Exhail9t9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh sounds like a waste of time. I'd bin the lot if I were you.
Jackieox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work 20 hours a week along side uni during the evenings so yeah its possible, providing your lectures dont clash =)
Prefetch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I decided it couldn't be done.

I would essentially be working 18 hour days Mon-Fri with no time to either study or relax. I'd be getting up at 6:30 and wouldn't stop until 22:30. The weekend would have been mostly spent recovering from the week.

Much more sensible to opt for a Weekend job somewhere.
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Prefetch)
I decided it couldn't be done.

I would essentially be working 18 hour days Mon-Fri with no time to either study or relax. I'd be getting up at 6:30 and wouldn't stop until 22:30. The weekend would have been mostly spent recovering from the week.

Much more sensible to opt for a Weekend job somewhere.
I did a 2 year foundation degree and progressing onto the top up degree in September. During term time I do 3 days a week and doing between 16-28 hours so it's doable. But if you feel like it won't clash with uni then go for it and good luck in your job search

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (15)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (33)
43.42%
Nope, not that interesting (28)
36.84%

Watched Threads