Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 25. I've been working since age 18. Currently in FT employment in Media and IT but leaving in September to start a computer science course.

About 2 months ago, I applied for a part time position in the civil service (20 hrs, evenings, Monday-Fri) doing admin assist on the CRB checks.I got an invite for assessment and interview today but thinking about it more and more I just worry this is gonna be too much.

My commute to Uni is gonna be about an hour and 10 mins in the first year because I'm doing a foundation year off-campus. I don't know what the time commitments are with regard to the foundation year, but I know I only have to be there for classes, so if I don't have one until 12, I don't need to be in until 12.

I would then have to commute back and pull a 6-10 shift every Mon-Fri.

I'll have the weekends free.

I would really like to do both (Not least because I'll be pulling in £192 a week on top of the maintenance loan) but obviously the course would be more important. Do you think it's doable?Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Tbh sounds like a waste of time. I'd bin the lot if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    I work 20 hours a week along side uni during the evenings so yeah its possible, providing your lectures dont clash =)

ReputationRep:
    I decided it couldn't be done.

I would essentially be working 18 hour days Mon-Fri with no time to either study or relax. I'd be getting up at 6:30 and wouldn't stop until 22:30. The weekend would have been mostly spent recovering from the week.

Much more sensible to opt for a Weekend job somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prefetch)
    I decided it couldn't be done.

I would essentially be working 18 hour days Mon-Fri with no time to either study or relax. I'd be getting up at 6:30 and wouldn't stop until 22:30. The weekend would have been mostly spent recovering from the week.

Much more sensible to opt for a Weekend job somewhere.
    I did a 2 year foundation degree and progressing onto the top up degree in September. During term time I do 3 days a week and doing between 16-28 hours so it's doable. But if you feel like it won't clash with uni then go for it and good luck in your job search

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.