Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

V1012 – Promissory Oaths (Amendment) Bill 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    55.32%
    On the contrary, No
    36.17%
    Abstain
    8.51%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V1012 – Promissory Oaths (Amendment) Bill 2016, TSR Government

Promissory Oaths (Amendment) Bill 2016
    A Bill to amend the Law relating to Promissory Oaths
    I just need some random stuff to create the white space so that the date is in the correct p[lace, if anybody knows an easier way please tell me so I don't need to do this again[13th July 2016]

Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Amendments to be made to the Promissory Oaths Act 1868

(1) Part 1(2) shall be replaced with:

'Form of oath of allegiance.
    The oath in this Act referred to as the oath of allegiance shall be in the form following; that is to say,
    “I, , do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.” or;
    "I, , do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law."'

(2) Part 1(3) shall be replaced with:
    'Form of official oath.
    The oath in this Act referred to as the official oath shall be in the form following; that is to say,
    “I, , do swear that I will well and truly serve Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in the office of .So help me God.” or;
    "I, , do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will well and truly serve Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law "'

(3) Part 1(4) shall be replaced with:
    'Form of judicial oath.
    The oath in this Act referred to as the judicial oath shall be in the form following; that is to say,
    “I, , do swear that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth in the office of , and I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or illwill. So help me God.” or;
    “I, , do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth in the office of , and I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or illwill, according to law”

2. Commencement, Short Title, and Extent
    (1) This Act shall be known as the Promissory Oaths Act 2016,
    (2) This shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom, except Part 1(3) which shall not extend to Northern Ireland, and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately.

notes
    While B720 strictly doesn't do anything this bill will end any ambiguity as to the nature of Promissory Oaths, clearly affirming that they are made to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth as opposed to the no longer existing British Republic. It further updates the text formally to refer to Queen Elizabeth and formally includes Solemn Affirmations. Part 1(3) does not extend to Northern Ireland in accordance with the Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002 which made the part of the Promissory Oaths Act 1868 relate only to Great Britain.

Promissory Oaths Act 1868: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...2/72/section/4
    B720: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2958399
    Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2002: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/26/contents
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I'm not happy this was accepted for vote when it was withdrawn and no changes were made.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm not happy this was accepted for vote when it was withdrawn and no changes were made.
    If a request is received by midnight or within a reasonable time after the update I am happy to allow a vote or second reading. This was a courtesy extended to me by all speakers from whom I requested it and I see no reason to change that.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    If a request is received by midnight or within a reasonable time after the update I am happy to allow a vote or second reading. This was a courtesy extended to me by all speakers from whom I requested it and I see no reason to change that.
    I understand and I'm not blaming you, my gripe is with the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I understand and I'm not blaming you, my gripe is with the government.
    Yeah, had a busy day, then a power outage, then I had to do work I'm actually paid for in a hurry. I'm terribly sorry for missing the deadline by 40 minutes after who knows how many months. Better ready the pitchforks, boys! :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Yeah, had a busy day, then a power outage, then I had to do work I'm actually paid for in a hurry. I'm terribly sorry for missing the deadline by 40 minutes after who knows how many months. Better ready the pitchforks, boys! :rolleyes:
    You had 7 days if you weren't changing a thing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You had 7 days if you weren't changing a thing.
    We weren't sure about that at first and then I had to deal with your MoNC so it slipped my mind. Again, a mistake that happens maybe once per term. I know the MHoC is your life but not all of us are like that. I accepted my mistake and apologised to Fez, however I owe nothing to you and your criticism is unfair and silly.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm sure the Government will understand my naying this. I don't like oaths to a Queen, and instead of amending it, I would rather we scrap it. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by a bunch of monarchists, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

However, I don't think 'withdrawn' should mean withdrawn in that sense. People should be able to take things to further readings and/or votes even after cessation has expired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I'm sure the Government will understand my naying this. I don't like oaths to a Queen, and instead of amending it, I would rather we scrap it. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by a bunch of monarchists, oh well.
    That is my reasoning also. We swear loyalty to constituents who elect us, not a monarchy who are outdated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    That is my reasoning also. We swear loyalty to constituents who elect us, not a monarchy who are outdated.
    I think our reasonings differ...I'm a nationalist.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I see no reason to change it. I'm voting no.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Saracen's Fez please change my vote to Aye!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Saracen's Fez please change my vote to Aye!
    One Abstention has been changed to an Aye.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Excuse me, Mr Speaker, but I request for a change to abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think our reasonings differ...I'm a nationalist traitor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I see no reason to change it. I'm voting no.
    How about the reason it was changed in the first place itself being gone meaning it's, well, an oath to nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Not in the mood.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Excuse me, Mr Speaker, but I request for a change to abstain.
    One No has been changed to an Abstention.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.