Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it a waste of time to do a foundation year?
    I have only heard about it recently so don't know too much about it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Glib)
    Well if you don't need to yes, but if it helps you get to the course you want to then no it isn't.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Glib)
    Absolutely not! I did one and went straight onto my BSc after passing it. I'm glad I did it before starting my degree 'proper' if I'm honest too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Absolutely not! I did one and went straight onto my BSc after passing it. I'm glad I did it before starting my degree 'proper' if I'm honest too
    How does the foundation year work, I want to do astronomy or aeronautical engineering but Idont have A level physics!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Glib)
    How does the foundation year work, I want to do astronomy or aeronautical engineering but Idont have A level physics!
    I can only speak for foundation years at my university but I'd say that if you're looking at a foundation year which has a physics base to it, I'd say that not having A Level physics wouldn't be a problem? Foundation year psychology certainly didn't require a prior knowledge of psychology - though of course it helps, they're generally aimed at getting people up to scratch with the subject in question?

I did four units at my university; a psychology module; one on statistics; another on 'study skills' and the last one was on social care - it allowed people to go down that route if they wanted. You'll still have lectures and seminars - it gets you used to the 'university way of life' but the workload is generally lower than it would be in 1st year. Aslong as you pass it - so get 40%, you'll move straight onto the course it leads onto without needing to apply again through UCAS

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.