Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do I exist? Am I a figment of you imagination?

Is there any point to even considering that we don't really exist - if we do, then why worry and, if we don't, then why not just continue deluding ourselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Do I exist? Am I a figment of you imagination?

Is there any point to even considering that we don't really exist - if we do, then why worry and, if we don't, then why not just continue deluding ourselves?
    You exist because I say you do

ReputationRep:
    we exist

ReputationRep:
    Well I definitely exist, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?

ReputationRep:
    who was it -errr descartes...i think, therefore i am? Our existence is supported by each others acknowledgement, if we didnt, then we wouldnt have an identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    who was it -errr descartes...i think, therefore i am? Our existence is supported by each others acknowledgement, if we didnt, then we wouldnt have an identity.
    Too right! And I acknowledge your existance, therefore you exist in my book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    You exist because I say you do
    This statement is unsound - how can I be sure of your existance, let alone accept mine on your say so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Well I definitely exist, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?
    No. Let's say you do exist...

How do you know you are not "being tested" by a deity or something and that everything you consider "reality" is all just implanted into your head by that being to test your responses to different stimuli.

Then you'd exist, but that certainly wouldn't be "all that matters"...

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you are not "being tested" by a deity or something and that everything you consider "reality" is all just implanted into your head by that being to test your responses to different stimuli.
    hmm...there are plenty of threads already on whether we live in "the matrix".

ReputationRep:
    And so what if we dont exist! We can't prove it either way and even if we don't really exist, what does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    'I think therefore I am' - Rene Descartes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    'I think therefore I am' - Rene Descartes
    Did Descartes think? Did Descartes exist? I never met the guy (and my old French/Latin wouldn't have been sufficient to talk to him even if I had...)

ReputationRep:
    By definition of the way we are, we must exist, by virtue of ever being able to pose the question.

However, I doubt that the universe we perceive is all that exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    By definition of the way we are, we must exist, by virtue of ever being able to pose the question.

However, I doubt that the universe we perceive is all that exists.
    That was Descartes' point. I don't buy it... How do I know you exist and that I'm not logged in under a variety of aliases and have some multiple personality disorder? Or how do you know that I am not you? Remember Fight Club..?

ReputationRep:
    That was Descartes' point. I don't buy it... How do I know you exist and that I'm not logged in under a variety of aliases and have some multiple personality disorder? Or how do you know that I am not you? Remember Fight Club..?
    If you think you don't exist, try missing a couple of loan repayments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    If you think you don't exist, try missing a couple of loan repayments!
    Good plan... Sadly I have no loans!

ReputationRep:
    The point is you can only be sure of your existance, not anyone else's. You can be sure of your existence because you are thinking, and thinking can't exist without a thinker. If there is a thinker there is something. Therefore you exist.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes think I am the only one alive and everyone else is just robots or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaRRR)
    I sometimes think I am the only one alive and everyone else is just robots or something!
    That's possible.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on what existence actually is. What is thinking aswell? When you are asleep and not dreaming you are not thinking for the eight hours or so you are out. Do you exist during that time if you're not aware of anything around you or yourself?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.