Turn on thread page Beta

Do I exist? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Weejimmie)
    Even Davy Hume, though, acknowledged that there was an "I", even if this was only the continuing perception of the flow of sensations.
    Oh Hume believed in an I, therefore there is an I.

Let me guess - you're not the Professor of Logic at the LSE, are you?

Hint: Buddhism and Nietzsche had 'difficulties' finding your beloved I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Is this about me, or meant to be a quote? If it's the latter, where did I say it? If it's the former, I live in England (which, as far I can perceive, is very real)...
    Sorry: you are an Irish citizen who doesn't recognise the present government of Ireland, who lives in the UK and doesn't recognise the current territorial existence of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry: you are an Irish citizen who doesn't recognise the present government of Ireland, who lives in the UK and doesn't recognise the current territorial existence of the UK.
    If only it were that simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    Oh Hume believed in an I, therefore there is an I.
    No. Hume observed that there was a continuing awareness of the flow of sensation, including past sensation, and inferred that therefore that observing entity had a continuing existence.

Let me guess - you're not the Professor of Logic at the LSE, are you?
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

Hint: Buddhism and Nietzsche had 'difficulties' finding your beloved I.
    Beloved? Hardly. It is- even if it is only a perceptual fiction- one of the most basic assumptions of the world we live in. It is curious that that is so with Nietzsche, in that his work is so determinedly personal and personalised. Perhaps it was because he was trying to establish an "I" he had difficulties finding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    If only it were that simple

I replied to your medical school query on the "Cambridge merchandise" thread Yawn1...

ReputationRep:
    I replied to your medical school query on the "Cambridge merchandise" thread Yawn1...
    Aw thanks - I'll have a quick look now.

Cheers.

Is it true that you’re a bloody Irishman over here refusing to recognise the sovereignty and status of Great Britain?

ReputationRep:
    It is curious that that is so with Nietzsche, in that his work is so determinedly personal and personalised. Perhaps it was because he was trying to establish an "I" he had difficulties finding?

Nietzsche (and his role model Schopenhauer) were too interested looking at bad things in life to ever care about the good things. What they thought about is of no interest to me... I'm happy in my blissful, optimistic ignorance...

Cheer up dudes... At least you didn't contract syphilis from your only ever sexual encounter

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that you’re a bloody Irishman over here refusing to recognise the sovereignty and status of Great Britain?
    Less of the 'bloody' please and a bit more respect for our learned friend!

ReputationRep:

Tee hee

Thanks for that!

Point taken, WeeJimmie? I do accept the sovereignty of Great Britain over its citizens, and me as I choose to live here... I only object to her illegal claim over part of my country )

ReputationRep:
    Tee hee

Thanks for that!

Point taken, WeeJimmie? I do accept the sovereignty of Great Britain over its citizens, and me as I choose to live here... I only object to her illegal claim over part of my country )
    I thought the people of Britain were 'subjects' and not citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    That sounds like the sort of imperialistic thing that's more than likely to be true over here! I retract my comment about citizens...

Which uni are you at/going to and which subject do you intend to do? Are you to be another medic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    It's a circular deal: The subjects elect a parliament, which ratifies the monarch's nominal authority over the subjects.... The subjects, however, are also citizens of their town and county.

ReputationRep:
    It's a circular deal: The subjects elect a parliament, which ratifies the monarch's nominal authority over the subjects.... The subjects, however, are also citizens of their town and county.

Sounds like a lot of fanciful nonsense to me... I'm happy being a citizen of what you would call a non-existant state...

ReputationRep:
    Yes you exist just as much as I exist, and no one is telling me I don't exist because I know that I do. If I didn't exist, I'd know about it would I?

Stop thinking too much, silly philosophers. Use your time to do something productive like physics!

ReputationRep:
    Polth- didn't know you were into theory of knowledge and philosophy!!

Do a search on amazon for theory of knowledge- the number of books thats comes up is amazing and most cover the topic in question...

Another one to try is how do you know you are not a brain in vat of preserving fluid!?

had some interesting answers for that! I'll pm u all my class notes and links if you want!

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think anyone has questioned this concept of the “ego” - the “I am”. The concept of the “ego” is from pathological aestheticians. It comes down to the affect of syntax on the body. How is the symptom of “ego” elicited? The answer is musical, as ego is a song that perpetuates the designator of sign. His plight is circular but that doesn't put an end to anything, it doesn't suppose a limit other than the total justified freedom of abandonment; or rather every single reduced self-aspect is inculcated in a void prior to having heard the first impression of syntax, upon which life reifies.

There is no ego. None exists except as the poor position of a structure to anihilate the abscence of direction, which is anihilation. And yet abscence is another semantic circlet. Nothing escapes a neurons pulse, the dynamic ensures truth. To walk and talk is to be the living proof, to anihiliate any pathological formation. There is nothing behind oneself, except what one invested in the effort of a game.

The conception of an ego is an event like a pebble dropped onto a pond. Life is working its loops and those watching see ripples, but in the next few minutes the wave ceases and people leave out of bordom or are caught by other events, and insofar as it caught your attention was it to be called “ego”: it falls between the infinite gradations of awareness, such that you can not know by knowing what your looking at by the virtue of fascination or contempt. For a select few they will be murdered by the biological extremes of sense illusion. To stage a prop is a nihilistic event, as the undeniable multitudes precipitate the rules.

To peak a focus at the epicenter of one's soul by dropping a stone for all too see is the anihilation of sense. There is no bottom by the surface of the bottom. Movement alone is expressive of nothing attached to a world of nothing.

Sign carries all syntax: a multidemensional moving sign becomes truth in reification. The musical theme is first after which follows only mutation by eternal negations. Every thing is cut asunder. Sense is its sense, the acasual proposition of silence.

A sign in the degree of its subjectivity, the entire project of being, contains itself. It lives in its entirety to see the product of its end. There is consecration, manipulation, distraction.... et cetera.

When he transforms he will not be what he was and the illusion of the ego will be annihilated.

How to play a song without an instrument? You make it a riddle.
    Oh what a load of Nietzschean rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Philosophy's a load of crap really - isn't it? :cool:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I am, therefore I do! - yawn1 2004
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes you exist just as much as I exist, and no one is telling me I don't exist because I know that I do. If I didn't exist, I'd know about it would I?

Stop thinking too much, silly philosophers. Use your time to do something productive like physics!
    But the thing is you could be being fooled! It's all an illusion

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.