Turn on thread page Beta

M399 – Refugee Motion 2016 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M399 – Refugee Motion 2016, TSR UK Independence Party
    Syria refugees living on the Isle of Bute in Scotland claim to be bored, depressed, and surrounded by old people waiting to die. The refugees are claiming there is nothing to do, the freedom to walk around is not worth much, and the government not providing enough has caused depression.

We reject this ungrateful attitude refugees are showing when Britain may have saved their lives, as result we call on the government to remove these ungrateful refugees from Britain in response to the arrogance, and moaning the refugees have shown.

The policy to allow unchecked refugees entry to Britain is dangerous, we call on the government to reassure the public all refugees granted asylum have undergone stringent background checks, and all future refugees accepted speak English.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me they want to be able to do something, and to give back to the Country that took them in, be productive and not just sit around all day taking state money. I thought UKIP would love people like that.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Ummmmm no?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What evidence do you have surrounding this motion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    What evidence do you have surrounding this motion?
    An interview in the Daily Telegraph with migrants on a Scottish island.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    An interview in the Daily Telegraph with migrants on a Scottish island.
    Is this all the motion is based on?

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I read an article on this yesterday in the Mail and was properly disgusted by their ungrateful attitude. We've got an airplane ready if they want to go back to Syria.

ReputationRep:
    An article I read regarding the matter highlighted complaints that the refugees struggled to learn English or find jobs on the island, which has an above average unemployment rate - so the attitude of the refugees isn't completely abhorrent.

That said, complaints of being 'bored' and 'surrounded by old people,' from people who have been given asylum from a war zone, does feel like a kick in the teeth.

I certainly agree with the final paragraph, though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Aye. I read an article on this yesterday in the Mail and was properly disgusted by their ungrateful attitude. We've got an airplane ready if they want to go back to Syria.
    You did read it in the Mail, that there is your first problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    You did read it in the Mail, that there is your first problem.
    Come on, it was practically the same as the one in the Telegraph, only without the paywall.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Come on, it was practically the same as the one in the Telegraph, only without the paywall.
    Probably to be honest , fair point.

ReputationRep:
    If you have escaped war I expect you would have mental health issues. If you were relocated to a small island with the temperature about 15 centigrade or more below that you had previously experienced and had no job, you might be bored. Many people would find the same if they moved to the UKIP stronghold of Clacton, even if English was their first language.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's unfortunately a common misconception that lots of these refugees are extremists when it fact this is simply not the case. Some of these people have narrowly escaped with their lives and the fact that newspapers are trying to turn us against these people is disgusting. Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An easy aye

(Original post by barnetlad)
    If you have escaped war I expect you would have mental health issues. If you were relocated to a small island with the temperature about 15 centigrade or more below that you had previously experienced and had no job, you might be bored. Many people would find the same if they moved to the UKIP stronghold of Clacton, even if English was their first language.
    Are you saying that all of your grand parents and great grandparents probably had mental health issues? This sort of commentary is absolutely disgusting and epitomises what is wrong with the youth of today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tbf there isn't much difference between the two papers, the telegraph just tries to appear more upmarket

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    An easy aye

Are you saying that all of your grand parents and great grandparents probably had mental health issues? This sort of commentary is absolutely disgusting and epitomises what is wrong with the youth of today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it is safe to presume that a lot of people returning from WW1 and WW2, the wars I am guessing you are referring to when talking about grand/great grandparents, suffered from mental illnesses such as anxiety, PTSD, depression and such, but we weren't medically at a stage to identify these mental health problems.

ReputationRep:
    Their lack of gratitude is wrong, and unfortunate. However, this motion goes signifiantly too far.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This goes too far for me to support. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    An easy aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite possibly, as do about 1 in 4 people who experience a mental health problem each year. None fought in World War 1 but shell shock was a condition that many who fought suffered from (who survived).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There isn't even a paywall for the telegraph really anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    tbf there isn't much difference between the two papers, the telegraph just tries to appear more upmarket

Well it is safe to presume that a lot of people returning from WW1 and WW2, the wars I am guessing you are referring to when talking about grand/great grandparents, suffered from mental illnesses such as anxiety, PTSD, depression and such, but we weren't medically at a stage to identify these mental health problems.
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Quite possibly, as do about 1 in 4 people who experience a mental health problem each year. None fought in World War 1 but shell shock was a condition that many who fought suffered from (who survived).
    No, I mean the 40-50m that remained on the home front.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.