Turn on thread page Beta

Differences in finance NI and finance England? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a student from Northern Ireland, studying in Liverpool and going into my 3rd year. When I initially applied for student finance, it was based on my own income as I had worked full-time for 3 years before going to university. My income was the lowest bracket which means I am entitled to the maximum loan and grant available to me. In my first year I was entitled to just over £6600, in second year just over £6400, and for third year I have just been informed that I am entitled to just over £6000. Now I know that in 3rd year you do get less.

However, my friend who does the same course as me and is also going into 3rd year has been informed that she is entitled to £7,161. We are both going into 3rd year, both studying in England. The only difference is that she applies through finance England, whereas I apply through finance NI, and I applied as an independent student (still income assessed) and she applied as a dependent student (income assessed based on her mother).

Do students who apply through student finance England get more? and if so why?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there are different "awarding bodies" or something. Something really unfair and backward as surely it will cost someone coming from NI just as much as anyone else.

Just writing in case someone actually replies with a helpful answer as I am get to get one myself.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Different warding bodies award different amounts. You, for example, now don't get grants with SFE. But can with the other bodies.

ReputationRep:
    It's very unfair that regardless of what has to be paid back or not ni students will need to work to supplement their living costs while English students could live job free based on where they come. From rather than where they chose to study
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mojosandwich)
    It's very unfair that regardless of what has to be paid back or not ni students will need to work to supplement their living costs while English students could live job free based on where they come. From rather than where they chose to study
    Not true for all English students. Some do have to work.

ReputationRep:
    "could live job free" depends on your bracket obviously but there's a big difference in how much you'll have to work if you are getting 7 grand and spend 4-6k on rent rather than trying to stretch 3.5k to cover the same rent plus living

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.