Turn on thread page Beta

AS German VS GCSE Chinese watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so as an enrichment activity (on top of my four core subjects which are maths, economics, history and biology) I can choose to do either GCSE Mandarin or AS German (I studied German at GCSE), I am working towards a career in business hopefully international business so would a foundation of chinese be more useful to me or furthering my knowledge of German and getting another AS >< ?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would say probably the chinese would be more useful, as it becoming (or is?) an economic superpower. If you already have the basics of German then unless you won't to do something that requires german, it would make more sense to learn chinese. If you really want to further your knowledge in German, then you could always get one of those discs that help you learn, or a book?

ReputationRep:
    chinese

ReputationRep:
    Unless you plan to continue studying Chinese afterwards, the GCSE is practically worthless. Doing AS German would leave you with some more tangible language skills. In terms of enrichment and enjoyment (and showing flair, and so on!) then I'd definitely go for Chinese. Just please don't choose it because of its utility as it takes a very long time to learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piers-)
    Unless you plan to continue studying Chinese afterwards, the GCSE is practically worthless. Doing AS German would leave you with some more tangible language skills. In terms of enrichment and enjoyment (and showing flair, and so on!) then I'd definitely go for Chinese. Just please don't choose it because of its utility as it takes a very long time to learn!
    I agree. It takes a long time to learn chinese good enough for it to actually be useable in a business situation. Germany is also the biggest economy in Europe, I think, (albeit nowhere near as big as China's). So it would be useful in Business.

But if you wanna go for Chinese, go for it! Just be prepared to work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Britain does more business with Germany than any other country in the world and also Germany are the biggest exporters of goods in the world but that may change by the time you get a job, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    I would say learn Chinese in school...and assuming you already have a good grasp on German, learn that by yourslef, or maybe enroll in a german class? Failing that you may always pick it up when at uni or something, and learn the harder language in school, where you will have the proper support.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can handle 5 AS levels, do German because if you get a decent grade, you'll actually have a decent ish grasp of the language, whereas GCSE languages are very basic, especially a difficult language like Chinese that you've never studied before. German is a good language for business as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Mandarin because as some posters above have pointed out, China's a growing economic power. In the future, having a grasp of the language would definitely prove to be very useful. Also, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but more people study German then Mandarin at school, so it puts you at a slight advantage, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the feedback folks . I understand now that both have their pros and cons but ultimately would an AS in German be more respected than a GCSE in a non-European language ? Plus the Chinese class would be a much smaller class. Arr man i don't know what to do ><.
    Thanks though for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    If you think you can handle 5 AS levels, do German because if you get a decent grade, you'll actually have a decent ish grasp of the language, whereas GCSE languages are very basic, especially a difficult language like Chinese that you've never studied before. German is a good language for business as well.
    Yeah, German's excellent for business. I get sick of hearing my German teacher bleating on that she has never used her French for business before, only her German. It's a useful language in that sense. I suppose I have to hand it to her there.

ReputationRep:
    I would go with the AS mate - will count more towards your eventual uni application! Good luck with your future studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Though GCSE Chinese would be significantly easier and more interesting.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harajukuboy)
    I understand now that both have their pros and cons but ultimately would an AS in German be more respected than a GCSE in a non-European language ?
    I'd say so because although Chinese is probably a harder language than German, an AS level is obviously a harder qualification than a GCSE. An A in AS German would leave you able to hold a reasonably long conversation with a native speaker on quite a variety of topics, whereas an A* in GCSE Chinese wouldn't really leave you with a solid grasp of the language.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the GCSE Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that Chinese from scratch would be the harder option, but definately the more useful one too in future in the world of business.

ReputationRep:
    I've never attempted to learn Chinese so can't pass judgement on that. I have, however, just finished my A-Level in German and I really enjoyed it! It was challenging but manageable. I found A2 much better than AS, purely for the fact that we got to do coursework at A2. This meant we only had two exams in the summer: oral and listening/reading. Coursework is a great opportunity to carry out independent research on an issue which interests YOU. And by doing coursework in German I not only developed my grammar skills, but also my understanding of the culture. I would definitely advise you to take the coursework option if you do German ;yes; .

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.